Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 Week Japan Itinerary Check 2017/2/3 03:44
March 19: Tokyo
Arrive at Haneda 9:30PM. Check into Airbnb in Shinjuku. Ichiran ramen

March 20: Tokyo
Free exploration of Tokyo. Visit Daily Chico (Nakano) and Penguin Bar (Ikebukuro)

March 21: Tokyo
Tsukiji Market, Tokyo Sky Tree, Solamachi, Sensoji, Sumida Park, Tokyo Station, Tapas Molecular Bar

March 22: Tokyo, Yokohama, Hakone
Activate JR Rail pass. Head to Yokohama for the Cup Noodle Museum until the afternoon. Then head to Hakone by bullet train. Check into YamaNoChaya (Ryokan). Kaiseki dinner + Private onsen for the rest of the night.

March 23: Nagoya
Leave YamaNoChaya after Kaiseki breakfast. Head to Nagoya. Toyota Museum, Nagoya Castle, International Design Centre. Check into Hotel.

March 24: Nagoya & Osaka
SC Maglev Museum. Lunch. Leave Nagoya for Osaka. Check into Osaka Airbnb. Dinner at Yakiniku M. Rikuro Ojisan no Mise for dessert. Explore Dotonbori for the rest of the night.

March 25: Kyoto
Take bullet train from Osaka at 5AM. Hike Fushimi Inari Taisha (3 hours), walk through Yasaka Pagoda, Ninenzaka, Kodaiji/Bamboo. Lunch at Kikunoi (11:30 reservation). Free Exploration: Maruyama Park, Gion, Shinkygoku, Tenmangu Shrine, Nishiki. Dinner at Kitchi kichi Omurice (5:30 reservation). Return to Osaka.

March 26: Nara & Osaka
Nara Park, Kasuga Taisha, Yumekaze Shop, Todaiji Temple., Nakatanido, Mochidonocho.
Return to Osaka. Dinner & Umeda Sky deck

March 27: Osaka & Kobe
Breakfast at Cafe Gram (11:30AM). Head for Kobe after. Meriken Park, Kobe Harborland, sightseeing of the harbor. Food?
Head back to Osaka. Dinner, etc

March 28: Osaka to Tokyo
Free exploration: Osaka Castle, Umeda Sky, Hankyu. Lunch at Kani Doraku Dotombori (1PM reservation), continue exploring Osaka (shopping, sightseeing, etc). Leave Osaka for Tokyo around 5PM. Arrive at 8PM. Check into Airbnb.

March 29: Tokyo
Ghibli Museum (11AM) until afternoon. Shirohige Cream Puffs, Shinjuku, Harajuku, shibuya Dinner at Hakushu Teppanyaki (6:30 PM reservation).

March 30: Tokyo
Chidori boats, east garden, miscellaneous sakura viewing, explore the rest of Japan/ make up with anything missed in itinerary before. Dinner at Ibuki Sukiyaki (5PM). Maybe try the night boats at chidori again.

March 31: Tokyo
Full day exploring Odaiba

April 1: Tokyo back to US
Arrive at Haneda at 4:30AM
Depart Tokyo at 7:30AM

Main question: Is this possible? I know that I packed a lot of travel into the trip and the days will be long.. But I am a very active person and I don't mind long days. I really do enjoy being up and about the entire time.

As for accomodations, if it isn't obvious, I will be staying in Tokyo for the first 3 days, Hakone for one day, and then Osaka for 4 days, and then Tokyo again for 5 days. This was because I wanted to take advantage of the 7 day Japan Rail Pass. I'll be staying in Osaka while commuting to Nara, Kobe, and Kyoto rather than staying in those places.

Suggestions, comments, and concerns will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
by Koalaby  

Re: 2 Week Japan Itinerary Check 2017/2/3 12:29
Take note that for all your shinkansen rides you are not allowed in Nozomi and Mizuho when using nationwide JR Pass.

Hmmm you are staying in Hakone without visiting/touring the place. Sorry to say if it looks like blasphemy but I understand that to each his own.

Osaka to Kyoto costs JPY 560 for 30 minutes via special rapid (considered as local) trains. The time difference between local train and ltd exp for Osaka-Kyoto leg is not that much significant as well. There is a possibility that the travel from Osaka to Shin-Osaka then waiting time for shinkansen to Kyoto will match the Osaka-Kyoto direct train. Further, there is no 5 am shinkansen between Osaka to Kyoto, only local trains until Inari.

If you really want to fully utilize JR Pass, stay in Osaka then shinkansen ride to and from Nagoya. 3 rides for Shin-Osaka - Nagoya leg already cost JPY 17,500. Odawara to Nagoya already costs JPY 8,400. These are for non-reserved seats in Kodama/Hikari.

In as much as there are lot to visit in Tokyo/Kanto, you cannot discount the attractions when in Central and Kansai regions. Many forumers here even mentioned that the Tokyo tour within 10 days is not enough!

Honestly, you will not be paralyzed if you do not tie your travels with a JR Pass. It never is always the absolute answer.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: 2 Week Japan Itinerary Check 2017/2/4 06:31
Hi, thanks for responding.

Take note that for all your shinkansen rides you are not allowed in Nozomi and Mizuho when using nationwide JR Pass.
Hmmm you are staying in Hakone without visiting/touring the place. Sorry to say if it looks like blasphemy but I understand that to each his own.

Ahh, yes. The JR rail pass in general will get me around for free those 7 days that I am traveling around the area even if it isn't by bullet train. I think I calculated that it was cost efficient for me to get a JR rail pass if I just make a round trip from Osaka to Tokyo... So taking into account all of the other traveling i'll do in the subway, I think it evens out.

As for Hakone, I looked up the attractions at Hakone and favored relaxing at the Ryokan. It would be our relaxation time before we start hauling butt to get through the next few days. The Kaiseki dinner is 2 hours long and we don't want to miss it.. So exploring Hakone wouldn't fit in that timeline.

Further, there is no 5 am shinkansen between Osaka to Kyoto, only local trains until Inari.
My misake! I meant the local train. I've been using hyperdia to check train times.

If you really want to fully utilize JR Pass, stay in Osaka then shinkansen ride to and from Nagoya. 3 rides for Shin-Osaka - Nagoya leg already cost JPY 17,500. Odawara to Nagoya already costs JPY 8,400. These are for non-reserved seats in Kodama/Hikari.

I don't see the purpose in passing Nagoya just to come back to it. That would also mean commuting to Nagoya twice because our activities won't fit in a single day. It's easier just to spend an entire day there, and then do stuff the next morning/afternoon before heading out to Osaka. Also, with the JR pass, it's less about using it for my money's worth and more about maximizing its activation on the days I travel the most. (Ex: it isn't activated for the first two days in Tokyo, and it ends before my last 4 days in Tokyo).

In as much as there are lot to visit in Tokyo/Kanto, you cannot discount the attractions when in Central and Kansai regions. Many forumers here even mentioned that the Tokyo tour within 10 days is not enough!

I wish I had more time. :c It's my first time and I'm just trying to make the best of the time I have.

Honestly, you will not be paralyzed if you do not tie your travels with a JR Pass. It never is always the absolute answer.[

If I made it seem this way, it wasn't my intention! I just wanted to make all the travel days fit into the 7 days my pass would be activated. Thank you for your input, by the way. Any recommendations for attractions would be most appreciated as well!
by Koalaby rate this post as useful

reply to this thread