Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baby stroller in trains 2017/2/4 11:53
we are planning to travel in Japan with a 6 months old child. is it an issue to travel by Shinkansen with a baby stroller? what about local trains (e.g. Hakodate Main Line)?
by Georg (guest)  

Re: Baby stroller in trains 2017/2/4 17:22
You would need to fold up the stroller in the shinkansen. On local train it is not a problem. But train and ability to move do become an issue. A chest baby carrier makes travel so much easier.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stroller in trains 2017/2/4 22:59
Slightly off topic, but if you're traveling on the Shinkansen with a child you need to carry around, you might want to consider spending your money to sit in the Green Car section, which is first class.

In the Green Cars, a hostess will come to your seat to see if you need assistance, and she would bring you food upon or free wet tissues upon request. The seats are bigger too, and it's more quiet.

It's a pity they don't have private compartments like they used to, but while it's a hassle to move around with a baby in the ordinary cars, the Green Car can often give you great comfort that you won't notice when you're traveling only with active adults.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stroller in trains 2017/2/4 23:37
On shinkansen you should book the back seat of the front seat in the car. Those seats have more spaces than other seats.
Putting folded stroller in aisle is prohibited for safety sake.
On local trains avoid rush hours if you are in urban areas.

There are two kinds of people about green car/business class thing.
Some think only about their own right and comfortability.
I'm the one who thinks they shouldn't disturb others in green car/business class by bringing uncontrollable babies. Other passengers have right to spend their time comfortably on extra fee.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stroller in trains 2017/2/5 00:30
I'm the one who thinks they shouldn't disturb others in green car/business class by bringing uncontrollable babies. Other passengers have right to spend their time comfortably on extra fee.

I totally agree. As a parent (of a now grown child), I found that children, or at least my child, tended to become less restless when they sat in the comfortable environment of the Green Cars. I'm sure it also had to do with the parents being comfortable. In fact, it never occurred to us to sit there until we found out how effective it was for everybody. We never had a problem on the several times riding the Green Cars for a couple of hours each on the Tokaido Shinkansen with the toddler.

Reasonable parents take their babies out to the "deck" between the car doors if they start disturbing others (by crying, or talking loudly and moving around which a 6-months old cannot do), no matter what kind of seat class they are in. On the other hand, those who only think of their own right will behave badly wherever they are, no matter what we suggest on the Forum.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Baby stroller in trains 2017/2/6 12:35
Thank you all for ther useful advise. I do agree with the concerns regarding the Green Cars - people are probably paying exactly for the more quiet environment. We'll see how our daugther handles train rides in May!
by Georg (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread