Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wifi reliance... 2017/2/5 06:52
Hi there.
I read some info on the various free Wifi probes around Japan, apparently there is an app that auto-connects you (?) if needed, possibly making there is no need for any data connection while in Japan.

But a bit curious. Since there are so many tourists travelling these days, how reliable and fast are these Wifi spots? Can you use it for Skyping or only for checkin e-mail?

The paid Wifi-spots, are they perhaps any more reliable?

Or should I find a more reliable data plan or something? Using data with my local operator would cost me around 500 JPY for 40 mb of data, but it is a bit hard to know exactly how much data is used...
by Johnny (guest)  

Re: Wifi reliance... 2017/2/5 08:15
Good free wifi can be found; for starters, at your hotel, and also at most convenience stores. Just don't expect to be online constantly, like you can with a data sim or a pocket wifi.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi reliance... 2017/2/5 13:31
Free wifi is available at more major attractions. I really would suggest to rent a pocket wifi. They cost only a few hundred yen each day. For the peace of mind I feel it is worth spending the money. I would not travel to Japan without a pocket wifi.
by Russell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi reliance... 2017/2/5 14:06
I have not had much luck with the public wifis at tourist attractions, as well as in train stations. Although it is there, it most often just doesn't work, at least for me.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi reliance... 2017/2/5 16:35
Some people cant live without wifi, some can.I personally think hotels and fast food places are enough wifi for me. Others cannot wait to post their photos online and need wifi 24/7. Up to you how much you need it or not.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi reliance... 2017/2/5 19:47
I have wifi in my phone already, so I would not need a separate wifi thing,unless it is more reliable or faster of course.

Not sure what data connection cost in Japan though. Since I don't call very much it would be a lot of cost renting a sim only for the data I think...
by Johnny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi reliance... 2017/2/6 00:59
hello,
i whas in japan about 2 weeks ago and i had buy a sim card whit unlimeted mb's so you can do all your internet on it
it cost me 4000 yen for 7 days acces and have buy it on narita arport

you put the sim in your own Phone and you can use it whit no problems
i also had my laptop connect to it ( acces point on my Phone )
by mark (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi reliance... 2017/2/6 07:26
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you leave from Narita as well? Do you know if it is possible to return the sim at another airport?
by Johnny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread