Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/6 17:25
Hi, I want to take a direct train "MT.FUJI for Kawaguchiko" which will be departed from Shinjuku at 10.39 and arrived in Kawaguchiko at 12.45 as I checked from Hyperdia for Feb 10th.

I went to JR office and they can only give me the ticket from Shinjuku to Otsuki, they cannot issue a ticket until Kawaguchiko as the section is belonged to Fujikyu.

JR officer told me that I can pay for the remaining section to the train conductor on board or pay at Kawaguchiko station which is fine but what I'm mot sure is I have a reserved seat from Shinjuku to Otsuki ...then how can I know that I will have a seat from Otsuki to Kawaguchiko? I worry that someone may reserve my seat in this section and I have to give up my seat.

I'm willing to make a seat reservation in advance but I don't know how can I do that unless do it at Otsuki station.

Would like to hear your advices.
Thank you.

Issarin K.
by Issarin (guest)  

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/6 21:42

You might want to consider taking bus directly from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/6 23:18
That "thru train" using JR's 6 cars.
http://www.fujikyu-railway.jp/train/kaisoku_fujisan_2016.php
In btw Otsuki and Kawaguchiko as Fujikyu Railway section is
Car No.1 to 4(4 cars) need reaserved seat ticket,
Car No.5 and 6(2 cars) no need reaserved seat ticket.

But btw Shinjuku and Otsuki is JR(JR-East) section
need reaserved seat ticket for all 6 cars.
(Fujikyu Railway is NOT "JR" different Rail company)

Which car number ticket(s) booked?
If 5 and 6 car's means 1 to 4 cars already full
or very crowded for travelers of group/family/couple
or no window side "A" or "D" seats for solo traveler.

And no worry in that time locals(Fujikyu section) taking down route train few.
by MGL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR-Fujikyu train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/6 23:30
I went to JR office and they can only give me the ticket from Shinjuku to Otsuki
I have a reserved seat from Shinjuku to Otsuki

That seems to be a mistake.

The train which you plan to take is Rapid Fujisan for Kawaguchiko, which is an extra train scheduled to run only on Fridays until the 3rd of March 2017.

JR-Fujikyu through reserved-seat tickets of this train are available at counters in JR Ticket Offices of East Japan Railway Company [JR-East].
Seats of this train cannot be reserved separately for a Fujikyu section.
So, in order to have a reserved seat until Kawaguchiko Station, you need a JR-Fujikyu through reserved-seat ticket.

Please inform JR-East of this mistake then exchange your current ticket for a correct one.
(There are a few JR-Fujikyu through train services named after Mount Fuji, so please say "Rapid Fujisan" clearly for distinction.)

If you have paid 520 yen for your current ticket, the ticket is a JR reserved-seat ticket; if you have paid 1840 yen, the ticket should work both as a JR basic-fare ticket and as a JR reserved-seat ticket.

For the JR and Fujikyu basic fares, you can use a Suica or PASMO card, in which case you don’t need a basic-fare ticket.

- A blog article in Japanese written by a railroad fan:
http://s.webry.info/sp/tomodachiya0221.at.webry.info/201607/article_1.html
: In the last photo, you see a pale blue reserved-seat ticket of Rapid Fujisan for a ride from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko, which was issued by JR-East.

- Fujikyuko: Introduction in Japanese of Rapid Fujisan:
http://www.fujikyu-railway.jp/train/kaisoku_fujisan_2016.php

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/7 07:09
Thank you for your suggestions;

- It just I feel more comfortable using the train more than bus. I have come to Japan many times but rarely use the bus. I will consider it more later.

- My ticket is reserved seat on car no. 5 for Shinjuku (10.39) to Otsuki (11.54) and it shows the train name as "FUJISAN". If car 5 and 6 will be non-reserved car between Otsuki and Kawaguchiko then I think I will be fine.

- I don't know the cost of my ticket as I'm using JR pass. I know JR pass does not cover Otsuki to Kawaguchiko but I should be able to pay addition and get the ticket from JR office in advance for this specific train. Anyhow, I will be going to JR office again.

All the information posted is very helpful to me, especially, the detail information of the train.

Thank you to you all.

Issarin K.

by Issarin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/7 08:53
Yes, you pay the supplement on the train as JR do not collect the ticket price for another company.

Sounds correct (based on having done the trip previously.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/7 09:00
but I should be able to pay addition and get the ticket from JR office in advance for this specific train

Says who?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/8 07:56
I didn't think you're "Japan Rail Pass(JRP)" holder.
JRP not covered Fujikyu section all so have to pay Fujikyu section fee 1140Y/oneway in cash.
That JR officer mentioned how to(2 ways) is correct.
After Otsuki Fujikyu's conductor soon coming for checking ticket usual.
(Say "河口湖駅まで/Kawaguchiko-eki made" with showing JRP)
If not also you can pay at Kawaguchiko stn ticket gate as "over section" fare adjustment.
(Say "乗越です。/Norikosi desu." with showing JRP./Not illegal and no penalty/fine)
So, you don't need to go JR ticket counter again on the day(or before day).

If changed to new seat btw Car no.1 to 4 at JR tiket office, (no changing fee)
you have to pay new reserved seat ticket(Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko) 520Y/oneway.
and Fujikyu section fee(paying after Otsuki mentioned above) both.
by MGL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR-Fujikyu train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/8 23:31
That JR officer mentioned how to(2 ways) is correct.

I still think it’s a mistake.

The price of a JR-Fujikyu thorough reserved-seat ticket (= 520 yen) is the same as the price of the JR reserved-seat fee, which means Fujikyu does not charge a fee concerning seat reservation for the Fujikyu section.
And, you cannot reserve a seat separately for the Fujikyu section.

So, when you hold a reserved-seat ticket only for the JR section, logically you can neither make seat reservation nor pay a reserved-seat fee to Fujikyu for the Fujikyu section.

If car 5 and 6 will be non-reserved car between Otsuki and Kawaguchiko then I think I will be fine.

You can reserve a seat in Car No. 5 or 6 of Kawaguchiko-bound Rapid Fujisan, from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko; seat reservation in these two cars is necessary only for the JR section until Otsuki.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/10 23:32
As long as I remember, there is NO direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchi-ko.
I believe there is no other way then transfering the train from coming from Shinjuku to Otsuki (physicaly leave the train in Otsuki, go out the station & within 10/20 meters walk get back in & through to the next train Otsuki to Kawaguchi-ko.

Enjoy your stay (& let the clouds not bother you much - I remember us arriving to Kawaguchi-ko in hugely raining/cloudy morning ... & within 40/50 mins - mostly spent on bus trip to the lake - the lovely lovely Fujisan ´got out´ the clouds as did the sun ... & we had a true ´day to remember´, very nice :-) ).
Regards, JET
by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/10 23:40
As long as I remember, there is NO direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchi-ko.

Well, you just learned something!
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/11 00:11
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR direct train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2017/2/11 09:40
Hello,

I arrived at Kawaguchiko yesterday and would like to share my experience.

- I'm using JR pass (all area), JR officer gave me a reserved seat on car no.5 from Shinjuku to Otsuki which is covered by JR pass.
- At Otsuki, I can remained on the train and the car become non-reservation car.
- I got off at Kawaguchiko station and paid additional fare for Otsuki and Kawaguchiko section. At the station exit, there is an officer waiting to collect the fare for passenger using JR pass or who doesn't have the ticket already.

This is the case for JR pass.

Lucky for me that the weather is so good that I can clearly see Fuji san. Very impressive.

Thank you.
by Issarin K. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread