Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reactions to unatural hair colours in Japan 2017/2/6 22:59
I am a natural brunette however I dip dyed my ends blonde so I could dye them easily to bright colours. Currently I have a blue ends to my hair. I'm only planning on vacationing in Kyoto,Japan for a month but I'm hoping to have interactions with native Japanese people and hope that my appearance doesn't affect this too much. My hair is up to my lowerback and is only about 1/4th-1/5th blue so I wonder if this will be more tolerable. In other cases I'm pretty "boring" with no piercings, tattoos etc so I hope maybe it will be toned down enough not to come across so negatively.

I hope I don't scare people away because of my hair colour choice. I really love my new hair and I'd feel saddened to change it up but I'd be willing to do so if it meant I could talk easier to Japanese natives comfortably. I know not all Japanese will judge me this way but I'd rather not make a bad impression to anyone.
by Warubeegoo  

Re: Reactions to unatural hair colours in Japan 2017/2/7 10:37
Not to worry.

Your hair will seem conservative, compared to what some Japanese do with their hair. A lot of Japanese are "bored" with their own hair color (everybody has black hair), so they dye all kinds of colors in order to be different.

You may get shocked, instead.
by Mei-1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reactions to unatural hair colours in Japan 2017/2/7 15:28
This is ground zero for cosplay. Your hair color will be pretty tame compared to some locals.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reactions to unatural hair colours in Japan 2017/2/7 16:00
Coloured hair wont get 95% of the nation to turn their heads. They have seen it all before.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Reactions to unatural hair colours in Japan 2017/2/8 22:04
I'm glad. I was pretty offput by someone who likes to think they know a lot about Japan telling me that my hair would be a problem and cause people to consider me negatively. I just wanted to make sure as I admit I know nothing of Japan so their comments weighed a bit on me.
by Warubeegoo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread