Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gifts for Sado, Kado, Judo or Zazen lovers 2017/2/8 09:01
Hello,

I am getting a friend a gift for her birthday who has studied Sado, Kado, Judo and Zazen for years. I would like to get her something to do with these tea ceremonies. Any suggestions?
by Darwin7373  

Re: Gifts for Sado, Kado, Judo or Zazen lovers 2017/2/9 23:12
For Sado, why not a cha-sen tea whisk or a beautiful chawan?
For Kado, a nice vase?
For Judo... hmm.. a new gi?
For Zazen.. what gift is suitable for silent meditation I wonder? Some relaxing incense?

by Yo~ Wakaran (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gifts for Sado, Kado, Judo or Zazen lovers 2017/2/9 23:23
What is your budget? And Kado, Judo and Zazen are not tea ceremonies.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Gifts for Sado, Kado, Judo or Zazen lovers 2017/2/10 00:46
Uco, that goes to show how far out of my element I am. My budget is about $100.

Yo~ Wakaran, those are great suggestions!
by Darwin7373 rate this post as useful

Re: Gifts for Sado, Kado, Judo or Zazen lovers 2017/2/10 14:38
Darwin,

I forgot to ask where you plan to shop. For example, if you have access to a department store in Japan or, better, an authentic tea tool shop, you should consult with the shopkeepers.

But generally speaking, you can rarely find a tea whisk or a beautiful chawan or a nice vase, proper enough to be gifts, within $100.

How about getting your friend a tiny but artistic vase? Any tiny one suitable for one stem of a plant (we call that type of vase "ichi-rin-zashi") can be used to decorate a tea room while following the procedures of kado (traditional Japanese flower arrangement).

Don't try to get a big vase, because you can easily waste your money on something that looks ugly to those who know about vases. It's a lot wiser to find something humble, and sado and kado is all about being humble.

Here are examples of how tea rooms are decorated with flowers.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E8%8C%B6%E5%AE%A4%E3%81%AE%E8%8A%B1...
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread