Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Koyasan Choishi Michi hike 2017/2/9 16:41
Hi JP-Guiders!

I am seeking advice on the Koyasan pilgrimmage hiking trail, Choishi Michi:

1) Is it safe to walk alone?
2) I know there is a trailhead at Jison-in, in Kudoyama. Are there other trailheads to allow a shorter version of the hike?
3) Will hiking be okay late March (22)? Worried about weather in the mountains.
4) Finally, if anyone has done this, what do you think is the required fitness level?

Many thanks! :)
by RLDarling  

Re: Koyasan Choishi Michi hike 2017/2/10 00:07
I assume that you have seen this entry of the Japan Guide? http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4909.html
It sees that it answers a few of your questions.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan Choishi Michi hike 2017/2/11 21:02
Thanks very much! That helps for the shorter access trailheads - I realise I saw that a while ago and completely forgot!

Any feedback re: solo safety and weather? : )

Thanks!
by RLDarling rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan Choishi Michi hike 2017/3/8 13:17
I did the Choishi Michi trail from Kii Hosokawa station (the shortest route) solo in mid October 2016. It started raining about half an hour into my hike, but the hike was still pleasant.

No one disembarked on the train at the same station, and aside from the lone station master, I didn't see anyone all the way up to the trail head, nor on the trail. It felt like I had the mountain completely to myself, and it felt wonderful.

About halfway through, the trail intersected with a mountain road and then headed into the mountains again. At that point, there were warning posts about bear sightings. From that point on, I was not quite as relaxed during the hike as the first half (I have no hiking experience, much less much knowledge on how to deal with bears, although the signage provided some advice). I kept an alert eye out, but did not catch sight of any bears.

As for difficulty level, I I found it to be more like a forest stroll. There was only one climb that I can recall - some makeshift steps leading up to the road at the Koyasan end of the trail (maybe two storeys or so in total elevation?). The steepest slope I can recall was (I have no sense for this) maybe 20-30-degree incline that was fairly brief and easy to walk. It was at the entrance of the Choishi Michi proper after trekking through the path from Kii Hosokawa.

I will be returning there with three aunts aged 50+ (they're not particularly active), and I'm thinking of taking them on this hike.
by Joy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread