Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Difference between sasou, maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/13 12:27
Hi guys,

I don't understand the difference between sasou, maneku, and shoutaisuru. I ask my friend, and he said that sasou is less formal than the other two. I feel like sasou is when someone asks you to go somewhere together, immediately, like going to eat at a restaurant. Shoutai suru is when someone invites you to a party in the next few days. Not sure what maneku is, though...

Can someone explain this to me clearly?
Thanks in advance! :)
by J-Major (guest)  

Re: Difference between sasou,maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/13 15:46
Isn't that what dictionaries are for?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Difference between sasou,maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/13 16:35
Are you trying to be funny? Of course I used the dictionary, and it says they all mean to invite.
by J-Major (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Difference between sasou,maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/13 18:14
This is difficult to explain.

If you use a Japanese-English dictionary, all three Japanese words translate to "to invite". However, the usage is different. I am not sure if I can explain it fully, but I will try my best.

sasou (誘う) is used in more casual settings, but there is no limit on time element (can be immediate, or next week etc.). Perhaps because casual social gatherings tend to be decided impulsively, it may be frequently associated with invitation of spur-of-the-moment type.

shotaisuru (招待する) is more formal than sasou, like inviting to a wedding or birthday party.

maneku (招く) is more formal than sasou, similar to shotaisuru, but often (not always) used for invitation of non-human kind (e.g., invitation of fortunes or happiness etc.; 金運を招く、幸福を招く). Sasou and shotaisuru are never used in this non-human sense.
by Mei-1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Difference between sasou, maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/14 07:29
Don't mind firas. He doesn't play well with others.
by Gomen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Difference between sasou, maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/14 11:26
The Japanese language has limited verbs compared with English and modifiers are used to describe different situations.
sasou (誘う) is, as Kanji is written, to lure someone to something.
shotaisuru (招待する) is to formally request, invite, etc. someone to come to attend something.
maneku (招く) is to request, to invite, etc. someone for something
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Difference between sasou, maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/14 19:15
sasou - is more casual than the other two, more like "ask (someone out) to do something," to "get someone interested" to do something. So asking someone out to go to a movie, or on a date, would be described by this verb. But as described by an earlier poster, it doesn't say immediately or anything about the timing.

maneku - you invite, or you beckon (something/someone). You know the "beckoning cat" dolls, "maneki neko"? They beckon/call on good luck to come over to you :) Also when someone invites you over to their home party, upon arrival you might say: "O-maneki arigatou gozaimasu." (The first part is a more polite form that comes from "maneku.")

shoutai suru - is to formally request someone's attendance. You would not really use it in your casual speech; you might receive a "shoutai jou" (invitation letter/card) to a friend's wedding party for example.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Difference between sasou, maneku, shotaisuru 2017/2/16 20:27
I think the most important difference is about money.
When you use "shotaisuru" or "maneku" to Japanese, he may think you pay all.
"sasou" is more casual verb and has a nuance of "ask to do something TOGATHER". He'll pay for himself at least.
by yuton (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread