Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you get a work visa without a degree? 2017/2/16 19:00
Would really appreciate some insight here on staying in Japan for longer than 6 months if you don't have a college degree.

I'm an online entrepreneur and have a successful marketing agency - a stable income is not a problem. I dropped out of a top 20 school a decade ago and would prefer not to go back to school just to spend a year or two living in Japan.

Is my only option to get a tourist visa and stay for 6 months in the country?
by Ronin (guest)  

Re: Can you get a work visa without a degree? 2017/2/17 11:17
So, do you actually want to work in Japan, or just live here while your business continues? It isn't clear.

There are (legal) ways to stay in the country without a work visa - it's not the only option.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can you get a work visa without a degree? 2017/2/17 11:27
If you have 10 years of business experience and could find a company to hire you as a consultant or something it wouldn't be a problem. The rules are a degree or a certain number of years or experience.

The bigger problem would be what kind of visa you'd qualify for to continue your current work unless you wanted to set up a Japanese office and get a business investor visa.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you get a work visa without a degree? 2017/2/20 11:13
Thank you both for your replies, I really appreciate it! :)

To answer your questions:

I'd prefer to live in Japan while my business continues. I already have one job -- would prefer not to look for another job while in Japan.

I wouldn't be opposed to starting up an office in Japan for my agency but would prefer not to if it can be avoided.

Basically, I just want to spend a year or two in Japan and see if I enjoy living there before I decide if I want to stay further.

Appreciate the insight once again! :)
by Ronin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you get a work visa without a degree? 2017/2/20 17:09
Ok, so you don't actually want or need a work visa for that (to live here, essentially not employed in Japan). That does, however, pose a different problem. The immigration assumption is that if you are in country you are doing something - you cannot just turn up and live here. You can stay under a temporary permit, but longer than the typical 90 days, it is not allowed.

What you might look at doing is a "representative office" and transfer yourself to that office for a year or two. The process is not too expensive and it does work.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can you get a work visa without a degree? 2017/2/22 00:38
Got it. Thank you!!
by Ronin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread