Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese wooden toys 2017/2/17 03:10
I am looking for a retailer in the Tokyo area that would sell quite a variety of wooden Japanese toys (traditional or not). I would like to get something that is durable and perhaps stimulates the senses of sight and hearing, such as a wooden tower with little wooden cups that, if you dropped a marble, would turn over and dump it to the cup below which in turn would tilt and dump it to the next, etc. I would like them to be made of wood.

The age range of the child/ren would be 2-4 and perhaps a 6-7 year old would enjoy playing with a 2-4 year old sibling.

I know of the traditional Japanese wooden toys (kendama, koma, etc.) and they are great, but I'm looking for something a bit more creative as well, much like building blocks. It would be really nice if they were Made in Japan to foment local crafts.

I will probably look in the major toy stores, like Hakuhinkan in Ginza, but I wonder if little stores that cater more to local arts and crafts may be a better place to look. And it's those places I probably will need help with. Can you think of any places that could sell wooden toys? Thank you!
by John B digs Japan  

Re: Japanese wooden toys 2017/2/17 17:32
I went with my child to a toy museum in Shinjuku that was a lovely adventure- they sold the toys you are looking for in their gift shop- you can access the gift shop without enjoying the museum I think. I believe they were by local artisans too- there was some beautiful wooden toys.

It's called the "Tokyo Toy Museum" and if you google it and look at images you may see what I'm talking about?
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese wooden toys 2017/2/17 20:35
Jojo, thank you! That is exactly the kind of place I was looking for! I had not thought of looking for a toy museum before. I'm glad you mentioned it. I will definitely go there when I arrive. Thank you once again!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese wooden toys 2017/2/17 21:49
You're very welcome.

I was on the edge of buying a large wooden log that had little wooden worms in the holes in it that you get in and out with a fishing pole kind of set up and magnets.

It was like nothing I'd seen before and one of those intriguing toys that even adults want a turn of...but I was too scared Australian customs would not allow it in. Hope you find what you're looking for.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese wooden toys 2017/2/18 01:42
Jojo, thank you once again. I do hope to find something. And I checked that it's not far from Shinjuku, so it's not too far to walk.

Re: Japanese wooden toys 2019/5/30 16:55
I found this thread and it mentioned it was old and possibly out of date.
Just wanted to post an update saying we saw this, went to the toy museum anyway, and it's still wonderful and has a huge range of wooden toys in the store (You don't have to pay entry to go to the store).
There are also a number of Gashapon machines outside that also have exclusive wooden toys in them.

Well worth a trip.
by Johnty (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese wooden toys 2019/5/30 19:41
Thank you for the update, but this thread has served its purpose. :)

reply to this thread