Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Budget - 12 Days in Japan 2017/2/17 14:36
Hi all,

I'll be jet setting to Japan in exactly 4 weeks - this holidays has been planned since last August however I have that gut feeling that I'm missing something (mainly involving the total cost of everything) so I'm wanting to get a fair idea/confirmation if this would be enough.

I currently have Y270,000 - this is to include:

$500
- for food (most of the time we will be on-the-go and will need to pick up quick and easy foods)

$2,200
- for souvenirs, gifts and shopping

$450 for a 7-day JR Pass and individual travel tickets:
- Tokyo metro
- JR tokyo to mt fuji return (with individual tickets included)
- Tokyo to Osaka
- Osaka to Kyoto (return)
- Osaka to Nara
- Nara to Tokyo/Haneda airport
Would the JR pass pay off?

$600 for admission fees to the following:
- Temples in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara
- Samurai Museum in Tokyo
- Anime district in Tokyo
- Universal Studios (with this, if we rock up before opening, would it be best to get the Xpress pass? or could we get by without it?)
- Maricar, Tokyo

Any advice helps and I sometimes get mixed messages when reading online Forum questions and blogs as they're never really up-to-date.

Appreciate your help,
Thanks in advance!!
by Livinlevinaloca  

Re: Budget - 12 Days in Japan 2017/2/17 21:22
Your numbers don't make much sense.

First, you told us how much money you have in Yen, but then told us what you're spending in USD. It doesn't add up.

Second, budget for food looks fine. Budget for shopping is based on your personal shopping habits. Estimates for transportation and attraction fees seem high.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Budget - 12 Days in Japan 2017/2/17 22:25
$600 for admission fees seems excessive. I don't know how much USJ is to get in, but I can see it being more than $100. Also, I haven't heard of any admission fees for the anime district in Tokyo. The samurai museum wasn't all that expensive, definitely less than 2000yen.

I would move the excess here to your food allocation as I'm sure you'd like to indulge in some good meals while you're there.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Budget - 12 Days in Japan 2017/2/17 22:58
Apart from the yen doesn't match the total of USD, you haven't mentioned about acommodation, is the cost included or it's been paid for.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Anon & kms899 2017/2/17 23:16
Sorry it's in AUD, which makes sense as the total amount comes to \270,000. I should've indicated that.

Accommodation has been paid for as it's not stated in my initial inquiry.

I appreciate everyone's responses. To make more "sense" here's what I have, converted into USD -

Food $400USD
Shopping $1,650USD
Entry/admin fees $400USD
Travel $350USD

Does this seem reasonable enough for a 12 day trip?

by Livinlevinaloca (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Budget - 12 Days in Japan 2017/2/17 23:42
In general I find that I spend more in food and less in shopping than you have estimated (50-60 USD per day on food, 1000 USD on shopping). Japan is a great country to eat, and you might find yourself buying street food like takoyaki or crepes or random drinks and pastries throughout the day. I also like a nice dinner once in a while.

In any case, your overall budget seems healthy enough so I'm sure you can cover yourself even if you find later that the individual categories need adjustment.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Budget - 12 Days in Japan 2017/2/18 01:49
270,000 yen for 12 days is 22,500 yen per day which is pretty much more than enough.

Regarding USJ, if you are willing to wait for 30 minutes or even more than an hour or 2 especially in their famous attractions, sure that paying for park entry ticket will do. If the entry ticket is the same this year, then that's 6900 or 7600 yen I guess and if you opt for express pass then you will be spending more than 10k.

Regarding foods, you can splurge with that amount per day. But as you said, you want on the go. Conbini is the best choice. If you can find for Sukiya or Matsuya or any Japanese fast food chain then that's ok as well. If you can find Super Tamade (a supermarket) when in Osaka I do not know if the food will appeal to you but that is the go-to of many people as well. But for sure you would want to indulge especially during dinner.

Consider your temple entry fees pegged at 500 yen per temple. Some are free (Fushimi-Inari-Taisha), some are paid per place of interest within one location and some, if not most, have higher entrance fee than 500 yen.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Budget - 12 Days in Japan 2017/2/19 06:59
For a family of four, it cost use about $100AUD/$75USD/8500JPY per day on average for daily transport passes, cheap food, temple entries. We did it on the cheap most days. Didn't include any entry to theme parks.

We had JR rail passes, but there is still buses and private railways that you need daily passes for to supplement the JR railways.

But it all depends on the person. Most could eat for as little as 2000 yen a day, up to huge amounts if you wanna hit a fancy eat in place.

I think you budget amount is good for what you wanna do.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread