Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which one is saver? 2017/2/19 01:09
Hi

Me & fam would like go to Japan for 14 days on mid may. We will arrive at Narita and depart from there also. We plan to visit osaka, kyoto, hakone, kobe, tokyo.

We will buy JR pass for sure but if our concern are cost, which one is saver between buy JR pass straight 14 days or mix the 7 days JR pass with tokyo 1 day pass/JR tokyo wide pass since we will spend the rest our holiday at tokyo area?

Additional question

We plan to attend shibazakura festival. So i need some expert here to give me some advice which one is the best route between visit tokyo first and put some city to be visited in the middle of our holiday and back to tokyo again...or...visit osaka first from narita and put tokyo at the rest of our holiday?

Thanks
by apdivercarbon  

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/19 12:25
No need 14d.
by NAIS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/19 13:59
"Japan Rail" Pass is good for doing inter-city, long-distance travel on JR Shinkansen. So in your case, Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka and back to Tokyo would be the "real" long-distance travel.

The guideline is that a 7-day JR Pass pays off if you are doing a Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka "round trip" within a 7-day period, and a 14-day JR Pass pays off for Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka - HIroshima then back to Tokyo within a 14-day period.

So in your case probably only the 7-day version will pay off, IF you are making the Tokyo - Osaka/Kyoto - Tokyo travel within a 7-day period.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/19 15:20
But i will use N'EX for transport from and to Narita Airport. JR pass holder can use it for free, right?
by apdivercarbon rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/20 00:31
The trip from Tokyo to Narita isn't really that expensive, it usually turns out cheaper to buy the 7day JR Pass and pay that part seperately rather than buy a 14day JR Pass simply to include the trip to the airport.

However, we really need to see a more detailed itinerary to be able to advise you properly.
by FancyLampshade rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/20 10:24
With just your listed schedule you might have Y40,000 of travel (including Narita-Tokyo and getting the shinkansen to Odawara (Hakone), but that is far short of the Y46,390 for the 14 day pass. For your locations you should be able to do the major travel for around Y30,000.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/21 01:25
Hi...
Thanks for reply me.
Here i will list a rough schedule for my trip:
Day 1 Arrive in Narita and overnight at shinjuku area
Day 2 Tokyo Disneyland
Day 3 Shibazakura festival
Day 4 Go to Osaka and stay near dotonbori area
Day 5 USJ
Day 6 Go to Kyoto
Day 7-9 Visit major point of interest in Kyoto and stay at Ohanabo Ryokan for 1 night
Day 10-14 Back to Tokyo, go to tokyo disneysea, back to narita

As far as i search, there was no direct access to shibazakura place. For JR pass holder, it will end at otsuki station and no idea how after that. Can someone let me know the easiest way?

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/21 02:26
Buy a 7 day pass for the Kyoto/Osaka portion of your trip and a Tokyo Wide Pass (3 day) for the Narita to Tokyo, Disneyland, Shibazakura portion of your trip.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/21 08:19
The seven day pass doesn't cover the eight days they have in Osaka/Kyoto. The Japanican e-voucher would be a better deal for them.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/21 09:02
I think it does. days 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are covered by the 7 day pass. Going to Osaka on day 4 and back to Tokyo on Day 10. That is 7 days.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Which one is saver? 2017/2/21 11:14
Hi...thanks for your reply guys,

I think its cover. i will activate on day 4 when i go to osaka.
But if i buy tokyo wide pass, i think my cost almost 40k yen and i still to think about the rest days in tokyo, affraid the cost will be end up almost same with JR pass 14 days.

I plan to buy 7 days JR pass, N'EX round trip fare, topping up pasmo to cover my transport while in tokyo area, and take a direct bus from shinjuku to festival site. What do you guys think?

I read in some articles, there was a direct bus from shinjuku to the shibazakura site which only operate in festival period, anyone knows how much is the fare?

reply to this thread