Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sumida-ku Tokyo - Is it far? 2017/2/20 09:24
I booked my Airbnb in Sumida-ku tokyo a while ago, it is 5 min walk to Kanegafuchi station. I'm doing more research now and realised it may actually be quite out from the main attractions in tokyo?

Is it too far distance? This will be my first time in Japan and I am wanting to do all the main sort of attractions (shinjuku, shibuya, akihabara, disneyland / disney sea, hakone etc)

Thanks! :)
by Alana24  

Re: Sumida-ku Tokyo - Is it far? 2017/2/20 11:52
If you're near a JR station, like you are, then you're in decent shape. You'll have to commute to the interesting parts of Tokyo and you will be restricted to the JR operating times. Look in the map to see where you're at.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Sumida-ku Tokyo - Is it far? 2017/2/20 14:21
If you're near a JR station, like you are, then you're in decent shape.

Kanegafuchi station isn't a JR station, it's on the Tobu Skytree line.

Is it too far distance? This will be my first time in Japan and I am wanting to do all the main sort of attractions (shinjuku, shibuya, akihabara, disneyland / disney sea, hakone etc)

Kanegafuchi station is 20 minutes from Akihabara, around 40 minutes from Shinjuku and Shibuya, and 50 minutes from Disney Land. It's not very central, but it might not be a bad place to stay if the accommodation is better value.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sumida-ku Tokyo - Is it far? 2017/2/20 15:14
As you can see on the map, it's quite a typical residential area in the older part of Tokyo. You are in the middle of 2 great rivers, and there are many tiny temples in your neighborhood.

This is how locals live. People, cook, wash, walk their dogs, and then commute to central Tokyo on train on a daily basis from places like these. You can't enjoy the same experience if you stay in the middle of the commercial or touristical districts.

Even if you stay in the city centers, there still is a great distance between, let's say, Shibuya and Disneyland. You need to sort out your schedule anyway, for example, by doing a day of the Yamanote Line (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara), another day of theme parks (you need a whole day for Disneyland alone), and another day for Hakone. Plus, your area has easy access to the Asakusa/Ueno area which is the mecca for first-time foreign tourists to Tokyo.

Here is the official website for Sumida City office, just for referrence:
https://www.city.sumida.lg.jp/bunka_kanko/index.html

And a handy bus to take you all around the Asakusa/Ueno area.
https://www.city.taito.lg.jp/index/kurashi/kotsu/megurin/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Sumida-ku Tokyo - Is it far? 2017/2/20 16:32
by Satanichia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread