Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Recommend a place between Tsuruoka and Kyoto? 2017/2/21 10:13
I am travelling to Japan for the first time in April with my wife and our son who will be 10 months old.

After a few days in Tokyo, we are going to Tsuruoka to hike around Haguro-san (weather permitting...)

After that, I was planning to go to Kyoto. But it's a long day of travel on the train.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to break up the trip, approximately halfway between Tsuruoka and Kyoto?

I was thinking maybe Kanazawa to see the gardens?

Thank you!
by scottb133  

Re: Recommend a place between Tsuruoka and Kyoto? 2017/2/21 10:24
Car bus train?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a place between Tsuruoka and Kyoto? 2017/2/21 10:45
We will have a JR passes so we will be going by train, but we could also take the bus if it's a (somewhat) short trip.
by scottb133 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a place between Tsuruoka and Kyoto? 2017/2/22 07:52
The quickest train route is back via Tokyo. And Kanazawa and Kyoto would be almost the same time fame to get to. Give or take 60-90 minutes.

Quickest route Tsuruoka to Kanazawa I found ranges between 5-6 hours depending on trains and connections. then add 2-2.5 for Kanazawa to Kyoto.

Quickest route Tsuruoka to Kyoto is ranges between 6-7 hours depending on train and connections.

To be it doesn't really save a lot aiming for Kanazawa. MAybe aim back for Tokyo, Yokohama, Kamakura maybe? Or if you have 2 nights free, maybe Odawara/Hakone?

by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a place between Tsuruoka and Kyoto? 2017/2/22 10:22
Thank you, hakata14!
by scottb133 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread