Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

worth getting JR pass 2017/2/24 04:18
hello all.
I will be going to Japan with my wife next month for a week flying in from Korea to Osaka on April 3. Staying there for 2 days then going to Kyoto. Not sure if staying in Kyoto or going back to Osaka for a day. Then going to mountains for Ryokan for 1-2 days then up to Tokyo for last 2-3 days. Leaving on April 10 from HND. Question is with this trip is a 7 Day JR pass worth it or just get individual trips. 1. Osaka to Kyoto (poss Kyoto back to Osaka). 2. Osaka/Kyoto to mountains. 3. mountain area to Tokyo.

Thank you
by brett (guest)  

Re: worth getting JR pass 2017/2/24 10:49
Nation wide pass not viable. Regional passes better option.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: worth getting JR pass 2017/2/24 19:57
Regional pass is a bit doubtful without a schedule - without more information, individual tickets.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: worth getting JR pass 2017/2/24 23:14
I suspect not. Travel between Osaka and Kyoto was only 560 yen on the train I used last week, so unless it's a long way to the mountains you visit the trip to Tokyo will leave the pass still being a lot more expensive. As a general rule a 7 day nationwide pass breaks even if you go between Tokyo and Kyoto and back again, and it doesn't sound like you'll be covering that much distance.
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: worth getting JR pass 2017/2/25 01:01
As others have said, The JR Pass may not be a fit for your. Here is one that may work.

Have you considered going to Takayama? There are highway busses that go from (Kyoto/Osaka) to Takayama, and ones that go from Takayama to Tokyo. There are many alpine tours that are available from Takayama. The bus line servicing Takayama is the Nohi bus line:

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/highwaybus/

There are many tours into the alpine moutains from here.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/hida/bustrip/?lang=en

This might work for you.

Good Luck, in planning your vacation.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: worth getting JR pass 2017/2/25 08:29
As a general rule a 7 day nationwide pass breaks even if you go between Tokyo and Kyoto and back again

I used to think that until I looked closer at the pricing and a few other factors. Now I do that trip on single tickets on the Nozomi because it is cheaper and quicker (no exchange, reservation via ticket machine - no queues). Even if you add Tokyo-Narita return it does not quite get to the 7-day pass cost because the return Narita ticket is only 4000yen.

Doing more than 1000km or three shinkansen/long distance trips it starts to pay off, but Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka - nope (and that is ignoring the discount tickets.)

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread