Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

COE is late. Flight leaves soon. What to do? 2017/2/24 10:09
Hello, I'm stressing about receiving my COE. My school initially said it would be ready within 3 months, and it's been nearly 4 months. My flight is booked for March 22nd with a school start date of April 3rd. So I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

1.) How is the COE usually mailed once tuition payment is made? FedEx, EMS, or something that is FAST? Or does it take a few weeks?

2.) If I do not receive it before my flight or not in enough time to get the visa at my local embassy can I arrive on a Tourist waiver and go to immigration to get my student visa if I have all my paperwork in order?

3.) Typical time it takes to make tuition payment via bank transfer? Typical time it takes for local embassy to issue Student Visa?

I really appreciate the help. Thank you!
by RoninX  

Re: COE is late. Flight leaves soon. What to do? 2017/2/24 17:59
1. Ask your school, it will be them who mail the CoE to you, not immigration.

2. No, you cannot obtain a visa in Japan. You can apply for a change of status but you need to confirm with your school that they will provide the necessary documents for that.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: COE is late. Flight leaves soon. What to do? 2017/2/24 22:09
I'm in the same situation as you and my advice would be to be pacient.

I've been told by the school that COE would be available at the end of February, so you have a couple of days left. They will mail it to you by express mail so it won't take weeks to arrive to your country.

I have already made the payment via wire transfer and it took a week since inception until it arrived to the school's account.

Good Luck.
by Sebita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: COE is late. Flight leaves soon. What to do? 2017/2/25 00:22
Thank you. I wish my school would accept payment now, but they won't. This timeline is ridiculous. If the school mails the COE express and my local embassy only takes a few days to process the visa, I might be ok.

Sebita, please let me know when your COE gets issued and mailed. Thank you.
by RoninX rate this post as useful

Re: COE is late. Flight leaves soon. What to do? 2017/2/28 22:07
To the OP:

Just to let you know, I've been informed that my COE is ready and the will mail it to me. It will probably arrive within two weeks and then I must go the local Japan Embassy for the actual visa.

I'll be studying at Kyoto Institute of Culture and Language by the way.

Good Luck.
by Sebita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread