Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling with luggage 2017/2/24 20:35
Hi all,

I'll be heading to Japan for 12 days and intend on taking a med-lge sized suitcase with four wheels, carry-on duffle bag (country road) and a backpack (for daily activities)

1 - I've read up on the forwarding service available but am sceptical on using it (I've lost luggage in the past from a flight) and wouldn't be at all impressed if I were without it for more than a day.

As I will be travelling (return), Tokyo - Osaka, how would I go about storing it on the shinkansen?

Thoughts on how to go about travelling with these bags?

Thanks in advance!
by Livinlevinaloca  

Re: Travelling with luggage 2017/2/25 08:02
My thoughts are summarized here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling with luggage 2017/2/25 08:16
If your duffle bag can be strapped (piggy backed) onto your rolling luggage (and your backpack on your back), I think you can move about easily. For times when you don't want to lug your rolling luggage and duffle bag, you can utilize coin-operated lockers all over (especially in train stations). I traveled for 6 weeks in Japan last year, moving hotels every 2 to 3 days, and never had to forward my luggage.
by Nora Neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling with luggage 2017/2/25 14:40
That is a lot of luggage for one person for 11 nights.

Uji's linked page is perfect explanation of the whole luggage issues in Japan.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling with luggage 2017/2/28 01:36
I take the same amount of clothing whether I'm traveling for five, ten, or 25 days. I take a smaller roller-bag and spend some time every five days doing laundry (and writing postcards). Visiting a Laundromat is a great cross-cultural experience, or you can ask your hotel about a nearby place that will let you drop off dirty laundry in the morning and pick it up cleaned in late afternoon. I've also taken clothes that are almost too old and worn to wear, then after wearing thrown them away to make room for souvenirs. Don't forget compression bags - once you squeeze all the air out you can pack more clothes or a spare pair of shoes (note: squeezing out the air does not make the bag weigh less, in fact adding extra clothes makes it weigh more).
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling with luggage 2017/2/28 04:57
I've had baggage mishaps with air travel as well, but so far not with Japan's luggage forwarding service. I have sent 1 bag from Hiroshima to my Tokyo apartment, and another from Hiroshima to Narita airport. Both were sent 3 days ahead of time and both reached their destinations fine. As long as your forms are filled out correctly (ask hotel for help) and you send them with the advised deadline (again, ask hotel). I trust Japanese people's efficiency and competency way more than the various airlines.

I also have not had any problem storing my luggage (large international suitcase) on the shinkansen. Storage space is toward the back of each car. Most of the time there is space. Or try the next car. But I honestly just recommend forwarding them for stress free traveling.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling with luggage 2017/2/28 16:23
Most hotels in Japan have coin operated washing machines and dryers. No need to leave the hotel. I take five days worth of clothes, and wash every 3 to 4 days.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling with luggage 2017/2/28 19:45
I travel with a medium suitcase but that is mostly in case I got some big souvenirs or so. My suitcase is like half full when I come to Japan, bringing a few days clothing, then washing.

On the trip TO Japan I always put some of the clothes in my carry on in case the bag is lost in flight I would not need to spend all day buying new clothes...

But I have forwarded before on trips that bulky luggage would be in the way or too much hassle. But carrying a suitcase on Shinkansen is fine but try to get a window front or back seat and put it either in front of you or behind the last row of seats. Also make sure to notice the train attendant that it is yours or you could have had it removed on the way...

I am not sure if your luggage might fit in the seats in the middle or so as the passenger in front might not be able to recline their seat as usual...

But maybe a suitcase AND a duffle bag is too much. Consider getting a bigger sturdy backpack instead, one that can fit as carry on.

But then again, forwarding service is Japan is highly reliable. It is used every day and it is the Japanese way. I have never heard of anyone had their bag lost that way. Maybe delayed but never lost.

Sent mine from Sapporo to Tokyo, had it there the day after I arrived in Tokyo (sent it the morning I left Sapporo) after a stopover in Hakodate.
by Eagle (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread