Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling between Nara and Osaka 2017/2/25 00:06
Hi, I'm a little confused about the JR Yamatoji Line. Does the line lead directly from JR Nara to Osaka station? Or do I have to do transfers in between.

Also, is the JR Yamatoji Line different from Yamatoji line itself?
by Luna (guest)  

Re: Traveling between Nara and Osaka 2017/2/25 08:22
Hi, I'm a little confused about the JR Yamatoji Line. Does the line lead directly from JR Nara to Osaka station?

There are generally four direct trains per hour. However, in addition, there are several trains along the Yamatoji Line that terminate at JR Namba Station and do not travel to Osaka Station. Trains to Osaka Station are bound for Osaka Station. So, they are easily recognized.

Also, is the JR Yamatoji Line different from Yamatoji line itself?

There is only one Yamatoji Line, and that one is JR. Note that Yamatoji is just a nickname. The technical name of most of the line is JR Kansai Main Line. Also, many of the direct trains between Nara and Osaka Station are called "Yamatoji Rapid" which may be the reason for the confusion.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling between Nara and Osaka 2017/2/25 08:42
Technically, Nara to Tennoji is on Yamatoji Line; and Tennoji to Osaka is on Osaka Kanjo (Loop) Line.

On some trains (Osaka bound), you don't need to transfer at Tennoji, because the train automatically becomes an Osaka Kanjo Line train.
by Saburo T. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling between Nara and Osaka 2017/2/25 16:16
I love the JR Kansai main Line aka yamatoji. I love it even more when I go direct to/from JR Nara Sta. to Osaka Sta. One word applies here: HYPERDIA. it will show you the route and times of all the Yamatoji trains so you can avoid or include Tennoji as you wish.
by johnnyman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling between Nara and Osaka 2017/2/26 00:00
I do agree what have been mentioned above.

Further explanation of Osaka to Nara via Yamatoji and why it was named as such https://www.osakastation.com/the-jr-yamatoji-line-and-the-yamatoji-rap....

Whenever I use Hyperdia, the parameters I am seeing aside from start and end stations are the schedule and transfer/s (station and platform change/s and change of equipment). If Hyperdia suggested a straightforward direct train travel with only the start and end stations then all I have to do in actual is to seat on the train from start to end stations. If Hyperdia suggested for the transfer along the way then I do the same. You may also want to pay attention to the signage hanging usually in the ceiling in case you feel you are getting lost.

At first, I do not mind the change of train line name because it was confusing but then I realize that it makes sense why the train company named it so if you look up for its meaning. There is even an instance that the train has this line name then as it reaches a particular station the train becomes another line name but it is the same train travel.

Further, if you see double arrow down on the train schedule in Hyperdia then that means it will stop for few minutes or pass, most likely major station along the way but you will be riding the same train.

The caveat in some direct trains is the combined trains that will have to decouple in one station. If you happen to ride on one, state your destination and reconfirm the carriage and the ticket gate master will tell you the car number/s you have to ride. However, this is unheard/unknown/does not happen at all in Osaka-Nara train service.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

reply to this thread