Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

does this itinerary make sense? 2017/2/25 17:55
Hi I am travelling to Japan in mid March. We have friends in Ota (nr Tokyo) and will be staying with them until March 19.
From there we thought to go anti clockwise and wonder if this plan will work
Ota - Takayama - do we have to go back to Tokyo first?
Takayama to Maizuru
Maizuru to Tottori
Tottori to Kyoto
OR should we go Maizuru to Kyoto, and then on to Tottori
Should we get the train Tottori to Tokyo, or fly?
We are interested in nature, ocean, beaches, art and sand casting. Is there anywhere on this route where we can see teapots being made, or any other artisan manufacturing?

Is this all feasible in 5-6 days? We have hotel bookings in Kyoto March 24 and 25.

Should we buy a JR pass to do these trips?

Any advice gratefully received :) thanks
by Sara (guest)  

Re: does this itinerary make sense? 2017/2/26 15:25
It doesn't really make sense to even go near Tokyo dues to all your destination locations being central and west Japan.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: does this itinerary make sense? 2017/2/26 19:02
I'd say it's feasible, but you're going to spend much of your time moving from place to place rather than exploring the places you visit. The distances might not seem so great as the crow flies, but your itinerary isn't well connected by fast and direct public transport. I recommend spending some time in Google maps and getting public transport directions for your various points. That'll give you a good idea what's involved in going from place to place.

If you are going to do that itinerary, I think you should go from Takayama to Kyoto, then Maizuru, Tottori, and then fly back to Tokyo.

A JR pass would be worth it only if you don't fly and return by train, but that's madness.

I do recommend rethinking your itinerary though, so you can enjoy more of Japan during your short trip and spending less time on trains and buses.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: does this itinerary make sense? 2017/2/27 08:30
Yes, you can do that, but your trip will be one of travelling and watching the countryside from the train (and that is ok it it is what you are after - some of those legs are very scenic). If I was going to do that I might have a different stop on the west coast before Tottori and the 7-day pass looks like a good option.

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread