Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/26 20:29
I want to move to Japan but I didn't finish High School and started working so I could mobe to Japan. But can I still go to High School?
by 名前 (guest)  

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 07:57
I doubt there is any way for you to get a visa. If you had finished high school, you could have come as a student. However, it is unlikely any high school would choose to accept you.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 08:26
You want to go to high school in Japan? (your question is not very clear)

So, you have money to live while you study?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 08:36
19 years old is an age for university not for high school...
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 08:49
To get entrance into actual high school maybe impossible but there is alternative such as Night School, that cater to those who did not finished their junior or high school.

read some of this google search
https://goo.gl/DW9Xek

if you read japanese
https://goo.gl/FG1SBx

but again your problem will be visa and language.
by 。。。 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 08:56
I actually was already informed about entering high school. My question was if I can still enter after I already started working in my country.

I don't have problems with visa, money, language or age.
by 名前 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 09:15
I don't have problems with visa, money, language or age.

Then I guess you can use Google Japan to look for informations in Japanese, make some phone calls in Japanese. You don't really need to ask questions in English on this board.
Again, 19 years old is not an age for high school.

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 11:15
I actually was already informed about entering high school. My question was if I can still enter after I already started working in my country.

Then why not ask that person? Contacting the school would be the only way to be sure.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 20:16
I don't see how having started work abroad would prevent you from entering high school in Japan. Any number of other things might prevent you, but that won't.

Curious how a visa isn't a problem though, unless you don't need one at all (i.e. you're a citizen that grew up abroad.)
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 23:02
Yes, you can attend a 高校 in Japan, even if you had started working. It's not uncommon at all for a 19 year old to start going to a 高校 especially if it's a 定時制 or a 通信制. Whoever says that 19 is for college doesn't really know about the society.

It's also not too hard to enter 高校 as long as you're not picky about which school to choose.

What you need is proof that you have finished junior high school level education. And you cannot go to senior high school if you have already graduated one.

Ask the 教育委員会 or specific schools for more details.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/27 23:40
Whoever says that 19 is for college doesn't really know about the society.

I am trully sorry for having been a good student and getting into university at 19. My fellow students were also 18/19. Sorry...

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/28 07:25
Whoever says that 19 is for college doesn't really know about the society.

+1 Gaby. I was 17 when I went to University and graduated my first degree at 20. We also had 20 year-old exchange students at my highschool, so depending on your life path, it can be a real mix.

The OP says they left school to work, and now wants to go back to school. They could do it where they are currently, but they want to do it in Japan. I concur that if language, visa, money are not a problem they should be talking to the schools directly, not a predominately English speaking travel forum.

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/28 09:34
I am trully sorry for having been a good student and getting into university at 19. My fellow students were also 18/19. Sorry...

Well good for you. Nothing wrong with that. It is wrong, however, to assume that everyone live in your same bubble and have the chance to attend school at the intended age brackets. Some people just didn't have the same opportunities or didn't make the right choices, but I would never discourage anyone wanting to go back to school at 19, even if it was junior high. I'm with Uco on this one.
by butabara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/28 11:59
if you pass their entrance examination, you have a right to enter schools, because there is no restriction by age, as already described above.
however, if you want to transfer to 全日制高校 by a special permission (without the examination), it is a different case.
as Gaby said, other students are almost in similar ages. schools are surely concerned for your age and ability for study, because 全日制高校 are on the extended line of junior high schools.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/2/28 18:09
To Gaby,
I didn't mean to be sarcastic, and there's nothing wrong with being sekenshirazu especially when you're young.

To Others,
JapanCustomTours wrote; "I was 17 when I went to University and graduated my first degree at 20." I'm sure (s)he went to University overseas, but just for the record, here in Japan you need to be 18 or older to enter a qualified university and stay there for 4 years, meaning you will be 22 the youngest when you graduate.

I agree with Ken that if you go to a typical 全日制 you might feel sort of left out being 19. But in 定時制/通信制 it's more common, and you still can attend classes during the day and participate in club activities like you would as a typical 全日制 student.

Anyway, even if everybody else at school is nearly 5 years younger than you, that doesn't mean you cannot enjoy studying or socializing. I've seen it happen.

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/3/1 09:09
Hi Uco - I am a "he" and from New Zealand. The University entrance exam/qualification is actually the second to last year of high school. I ran out of high school so Uni was next. Officially recognised degree programs are three years (and transferrable internationally - I am not sure what people are doing with their 4th year (drinking beer maybe), and I qualified with my masters degree by 22. Australia is similar.

For the record (also) my wife also attended university having obtained the University entrance qual, went working a few years and then completed a three year degree. That (a three year degree) is sufficient for her work visa here in Japan.

Re: High School with 19 but already working? 2017/3/1 16:17
Thanks, JapanCustomTours!

reply to this thread