Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way of connecting without rental 2017/2/28 19:33
Hi,
I know you can rent SIM card and so and also portable WIfi devices, the latter however seemed a little too much work to me since it needs recarghing and so and rental sim is a bit above my current budget.

I know there are free and some paid Wifi services (using your own phone) in Japan. However, I don't know how reliable they are, looking at the Free Wifi app some say they cant even connect etc, or very very slow.

Is the paid Wifi hot spots any better?

There is one you can call a toll number and get a password for 2 week Wifi. Is it anything of use?

Any other ideas?

Not that I need to be online 24/7, I got timetables, maps, etc offline on the phone so no sweat but could help sometimes if I need to Skype or check things that are not available for offline download...
by Johnny (guest)  

Re: Best way of connecting without rental. 2017/3/1 18:29
Why not just use the wifi at your hotel if you only need it intermittently?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Best way of connecting without rental. 2017/3/1 19:47
Check with your current provider what their international roaming rates are and whether your phone would work in Japan. International roaming used to be prohibitively expensive, but recently many carriers have been rolling out very reasonable rates. Even if it's a bit expensive, if you just want it as insurance in case you need to look up something, it may work for you.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Best way of connecting without rental. 2017/3/1 20:12
For me I get a data sim card locally from my country and use it in Japan they are uaually 7-14 days with anything from 1.5GB data and up. They are very cheap, as for calls, I always roam, not really expensive for me as the carrier has very good rates, and it's only for emergency, anything else, you can use wifi from the hotels, the speed is consider good, but do check that the hotel does have wifi and if it's free, if a hotel only offer cable, you can a get a cheap travel router and use it at the hotel.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Best way of connecting without rental. 2017/3/1 22:20
@Firas

I will not be in my hotel 24/7, and because of time difference it is not always possible to Skype people abroad..
by Johnny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way of connecting without rental. 2017/3/2 17:34
hello,
like i already told just buy at narita a sim card ( no renting ) 4000 yen for 7 days whit unlimited data ( they also have 2 gig cards for less money )
this works perfect i have use it in tokyo / Kyoto / osaka
and the big + is you dont have the deliver it back beacouse you have buy it so there is no problem from where you fly away
by mark (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way of connecting without rental. 2017/3/4 05:40
@Mark, what SIM would you recommend? I notice there are many.
by jalumbau (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way of connecting without rental. 2017/3/4 06:10
dont know anymoure whitch one i had
when you come out off costums you walk to the left and you will see a counter thats seling them
its just afte the stairs down
I will fly away monday again and will arive thuesday and will get it again it have workt perfect for me
by mark (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way of connecting without rental 2017/3/8 16:09
A data SIM is (maybe 3000 yen) and it's above your budget? But you still want to be online 24/7.

You'll probably spend more on coffee at starbucks using their free service if you need to use the internet/skype that much.

(and you need to register for the starbucks service with the internet before you can use their internet)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread