Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/2/28 21:40
I am having a little bit of trouble planning our trip to Japan.
We will spend first three nights in Kyoto, after that I had planned us to go for one night Mt Koya and then from there travel to Kanasawa.

Now I am having second thoughts. I was reading some old posts about Mt Koya and started thinking that if it takes a lot of time to get there and then to Kanasawa will we just spend too much time in a train. Could that time spend exploring Kyoto a bit more or visit Nara.

From Kanasawa we continue to Takayama and then to Hiroshima, and that we can't change. From Takayama to Hiroshima it also takes some time so I started to get second thoughs.

Any thoughts from anyone?

We are looking for kind of easy going holidays since it has been quite stressfull lately. I find the advices to get to Mt Koya quite confusing and started to get a lot of stress because of it.

I am sure as place it is wonderful but so must be Nara also.
by Ravey (guest)  

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/1 14:50
Have you checked Hyperdia for the train schedules? It might work or not. Depends on your desire to experience Koyasan. Sure there are parts in your itinerary this time that may or may not work at all.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/1 16:28
We decided yesterday to add one more night in Kyoto instead. We can take the train and visit Nara during one of those days, or just stay in Kyoto.

I checked the trains but got so lost. There are still so many other things to check that I just want to simplify a bit.
by Ravey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/1 19:32
Koyasan is a doable day trip
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4904.html

It is well worth the effort: yes, you miss the temple stay experience, but in a day trip there is less time used in checking in and out of accomodation etc.

I recommend Koyasan if it fits with your timing.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/1 20:56
You are leaving out important information, but I am guessing you are arriving/departing from Kansai (KIX), so why the unnecessary long trip Takayama to Hiroshima. There is a better schedule with shorter trips.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/1 21:08
Yes, I left out information because it is not relevant :) We need to end the trip in Hiroshima and we need to be in Kyoto for the first days of the trip.

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/1 21:38
Thanks AusTF :) We can do a day trip there if we choose to.

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/2 01:26
A vacation is not meant to be stressful. I would prefer skip seeing something rather than having it create anxiety. You will enjoy your stay with or without Koyasan I am sure about it :)
by Just enjoy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do we skip Koyasan? 2017/3/2 09:16
Yes, I left out information because it is not relevant :) We need to end the trip in Hiroshima and we need to be in Kyoto for the first days of the trip.

Hugely relevant - if you had said that I wouldn't have considered a more simple route for you. Still don't know your entry/exit flights for instance - so I still couldn't give you a best answer. I put together routes for people all the time so I can do it in my head mostly (train/bus timetables, connections, travel times, costs). So knowing what you have to do (eg Kyoto first, Hiroshima last) make a big difference.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread