Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo-Nikko-Kanazawa-Kyoto-Kiso Valley 2017/3/5 08:05
Hi everyone,
We are planning a Japan itinerary for 2 weeks (Sunday to Sunday to Sunday). Is this doable? Any other recommendations or edits you would make?
Arrive Sunday, May 14th
TOKYO: Sunday 14th, Monday 15th, Tuesday 16th, Wednesday 17th (3 full days Tokyo)
Thursday NIKKO PARK (day trip from Tokyo)
Friday morning to KANAZAWA (or go straight there Thursday after Nikko?), Friday 19th, Saturday 20th
Sunday morning to KYOTO, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday for KYOTO, NARA, HIMEJI
Saturday morning to KISO VALLEY from KYOTO (Magome hike to Tsumago - Saturday night Tsumago)
Sunday to Tokyo

Greatly appreciate advice!
by cahale  

Re: Tokyo-Nikko-Kanazawa-Kyoto-Kiso Valley 2017/3/5 09:59
Seems reasonable.

Going to Nikko for one day, you'll just have time to visit the central shrines and temples I think, rather than the wider national park.

Going from Kyoto to the kiso valley, just make sure you leave kyoto in good time so you get to enjoy most of the day there and not rush. It's a beautiful walk and the towns are really nice.

E.g. taking the 7.42 bullet train from Kyoto, you can be at nakatsugawa 9.48 in order to take a bus to magome.

I assume with all this travel you'll be using a rail pass?
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Nikko-Kanazawa-Kyoto-Kiso Valley 2017/3/5 10:07
Thank you! Yes, the plan is to get a rail pass. I was assuming it was worth it....
Does the route look good? I think for the best timing going to Kiso Valley from Kyoto is best? I wanted to go from Kanazawa but doesn't seem reasonable.
by cahale rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Nikko-Kanazawa-Kyoto-Kiso Valley 2017/3/5 18:49
Personally I would go straight from Nikko to Kanazawa, unless you have things to do in Tokyo in that evening, or prefer a slower pace of travel. That way you get two full days in Kanazawa, or you may want to add a night in Takayama or Shirakawago in the way to Kyoto - since the main attractions in Kanazawa can comfortably be seen in one day.

Nara and Himeji can be done in a day, but depending on what you want to see in Nara, chances are that it would feel a bit rushed since they are in sort of opposite directions (one hour of trains from Kyoto to Nara, and two hours from Nara to Himeji via Osaka or Shin-Osaka). I would do a full day in Nara (which I believe it deserves it, but if you do not fancy it you could add Uji which is in the way from Kyoto), and allocate Himeji to another day trip (with Osaka and Kobe on the way as possible additions in said day trip).

Are you forwarding your luggage to Tokyo or Tsumago from Kyoto (since you are going through Magome)? I assume you would not want to carry a suitcase in the Nakasendo, and Magome itself is rather steep, took me a bit of effort to carry my smallish trolleycase to my lodging there.
by Sannomiya rate this post as useful

reply to this thread