Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/5 21:43
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if someone experienced the same issue.
I recently created about 5 credit card.Two of them has my name order written wrongly.
Three of the credit cards have personal name/family name order
Two credit cards have family name first/personal name
I called the bank account in charge informing them that I should the order should be my personal name first then my family name.
They gave me two options:
1-They offered sending me an application form to write the info to fix the error.She said that I would need to wait for about a month.Basically,they wanted to create a new
2-Second option, she said you can just keep this one and use it normally even if my name order is not correct.
I asked her, is there any risks?
The staff answer:there is perhaps a risk when I may try to book online using that credit card.Then, I asked if she could fix the error on their systems to avoid any errors when booking online.The supervisor said OK.It is a Japanese airline credit card company.
Is the family name/personal name important? am I OK?
Thank you so much.
by kika (guest)  

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/6 16:49
"Is the family name/personal name important?"
yes, it is important.

take option 1. that is the best.
you should wait for a while, because those are your mistakes.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/6 18:54
Very surprised to read that "It's my mistake".
Supervisor himself confirmed that the data I entered was correct. He clearly told me that the confusion was on their side.
Note, I have JLPT N2,so I understood all the questions and how to
fill the application. Also, my wife double checked with me. Third, I confirmed that my name was correct after I have shown my resident card/passport to the staff who was with me while filling the application.
Can all the three of us miss that the name was written wrongly. Come on!
Please, change the idea that gaijins are always wrong.
Thank you for the response.
by kika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/6 22:28
The first thing that comes to mind is that it would cause a problem when you're using your credit card as a sort of an ID, especially when presenting it with another ID.

For example, places like hotels overseas ask you to present your credit card upon arrival... as credit. If the name order doesn't match your reservation name which is supposed to match your passport, then your card may not work as a credit.

Another thing I can think of is that if you loose your credit card and someone else finds it for you, or if your card is stolen and is abused, there will be no way to prove that the card is yours since your card name doesn't match your ID.

But when doing your everyday shopping in Japan, no one looks at the name on your card (although they do look when you're using the card overseas, in let's say the U.S.). But then, if you can't prove an abuse, what's a "credit" card for?

I'm also just curious why you need as many as 5 cards at a time. Give up using the 2 for a month. It can save your whole life time. And to avoid complications, do it before you start using it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/6 22:50
if those were their mistakes, they will not ask you re-write a new form (or another form), because the application itself is correct.
They just correct their mistake in their database and send a new card.
Don't you think ?

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/6 23:10
If you're worried about it, then you should just have it corrected. But I doubt it would cause any problems, even overseas. It's not like it's a completely different name or misspelled.

My name is too long to be printed on Japanese credit cards so I had it trimmed. I never had any problems.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/6 23:11
"I'm also just curious why you need as many as 5 cards at a time."
I agree with UCO 100%.
in general, beginner's upper limit of credit card is about 300000 yen. by five, it will become 1500000 yen.

there are so many point cards in Japan.
I, and probably most of Japanese try to have point cards of non-credit card type to avoid future troubles, when lost.

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/7 00:20
Thank you for your replies.

here will be no way to prove that the card is yours since your card name doesn't match your ID.

Proving the ownership of the card is easy for the credit card company because when creating the CC, you basically provide them with several information, home address, work,date of birth, home phone number, personal phone number, etc. I doubt proving ownership of the credit card would be an issue. Last time when I contacted the company,she reassured me that using the credit card now is fine.But, what you said about doesn't match your reservation name which is supposed to match your passport, then your card may not work as a credit. makes sense.

To answer your question I'm also just curious why you need as many as 5 cards at a time

I applied several times in the past for credit cards and was always denied.But, recently I can easily get credit cards.I just got somehow crazy and started applying for credit card checking if they will still deny me.I realized that I have all these credit cards that I don't even need.I am surely going to be cancelling some of them.

which is supposed to match your passport
I cannot really understand the situation. My passport has "family name"on the top" below "Personal Name". My bank book has "family name"first and then "Personal Name".

So, having "family name" first and "Personal Name" second is the correct order. However, in Japan, it seems many, perhaps common, credit card companies do the opposite, they write "Personal Name" first then "family name" .

I checked my mother in law cards: all the 4 cards have "Personal Name" first then "family name" .
Father in law 2 cards: one"Personal Name" first then "family name" .The other card has "family name" first "Personal Name"second (same as me).

I started thinking now that there is no issue in the name order.May be the policy depends on each credit card company.

Hi Ken, thank you for the replies.
They just correct their mistake in their database and send a new card.
When I called them last time,the supervisor confirmed that there has been some sorts of confusion on their side.However, she also stated that the name order is not an issue.So, I can use the card without any problems.She just offered changing the order of names on their database. To answer your question, I am not sure though, but since it is a credit card company, they have policies, when issuing a new card, it is necessary to fill the application for the correction of error. I just did not like waiting for another month to send me a new credit and cancel the other one. I'd like to note, they did not send me paper to apply all over again, they only send me an application for the correct of the name which means asking them to issue a new one. Maybe they need my confirmation again or something else.

My apologies for the lengthy reply. Thank you guys.

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/7 00:52
I am surely going to be cancelling some of them.

Well, cancel the 2 wrong ones then.

The other card has "family name" first "Personal Name"second (same as me).

I started thinking now that there is no issue in the name order.

Are you sure they are truly "credit cards" and not "point cards" or "membership cards"? My understanding is that any credit card indicate the holder's name in "personal name/family name" order. Perhaps the usage of cards that don't are more limited.

Anyway, I think I've written all I can.

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/7 01:02
I'm kind of confused on this, since you say you will cancel some of them, you might as well just cancel the two that was made wrong, why go through all the trouble, just cut them in half and send it back to them and have them cancelled, thats what we do in hong kong, could be same in Japan, or slightly different.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/7 23:53
Are you sure they are truly "credit cards" and not "point cards" or "membership cards"?
I cannot confuse between a credit card or any other cards such as points cards,pre paid cards,debit card,membership card.
I already use my card card to make in game purchases.
Again, I raised the question mainly to know about the name order of other people credit cards.
I concluded to the fact that it depends on companies. Some companies may put the family name first then the personal name second while others do the opposite.
While I called last time to check, the staff told me you can use the card without any problems.Still, just in case, I will contact them again with my Japanese father in law to make sure that I understand everything clearly.
Uco, kms899,ken, and other guests, thank you so much.

Re: Credit card personal and family name order 2017/3/8 00:26
Aha! This is probably what the OP is talking about. Anyway, it's best to have the father-in-law talk.
http://qa.crefan.jp/qa583.html

reply to this thread