Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 16:16
I'll be arriving at Osaka Airport around 12:00pm and am planning to go straight to Himeji Castle. I have to be back at Osaka before 5pm so which is my check in time. Is this doable? Will I be able to spend a few hours in Himeji?
by Saki (guest)  

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:06
Do you really mean Osaka Airport, or Kansai airport? Domestic or international flight?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:08
Sorry. I meant Kansai Airport. It's an international flight. I'm coming from the Philippines
by Saki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:19
Well, seeing as KIX to Himeji is at least 90 minutes and Himeji to Osaka about 30 minutes, you have at most three hours at Himeiji, however you also need to account for the time to pass immigration and custos, possibly exchange your rail pass, and train connections, which could eat at least another hour, leavng you with two hours.

Alternatively, as a short getaway destination not too far from KIX I often recommend Wakayama city, which has a nice park with a castle, and an Aeon shopping mall which is easily accessed.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:24
Do you think it's not possible? I was assuming that 2 hours in Himeji Castle is enough to thoroughly explore it.

I really like castles and I heard Himeji Castle is one of the most beautiful castles in Japan. It'd be a shame if I cant go there. But i'd rather not rush thru the tour of the castle. It will only ruin the experience for me.

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:37
Himeji Castle is considered one of the best castles, and I think two hours would be enough for a decent experience... but Fira's calculation assumed you needed to be in Osaka by 5, but from your wording I think you meant you needed to be back at KIX by 5? In which case you'll only have an hour or so and definitely be rushed (not to mention risk missing your flight if something goes amiss.)

by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:42
What I meant was that I need to be in Osaka (Namba to be specific ) before 5:00pm, which is the check in time of the hotel I'm staying at.

I wanted to stay atleast 2-3 hours within grounds of the Castle itself just exploring, sightseeing and people watching before I head back to Osaka and check in my bags.

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:51
Ah, then you may be OK. Can't you check in at your hotel later to give yourself more time? Or maybe you have something like a dinner appointment you need to be at.

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 17:57
Says here on my booking that the check in starts on 5:00pm. If it says "Start at" then im still good even if I check in past 5:00pm right?

I just want to be really really sure because I'll be travelling alone and I have a very bad sense of direction which would likely extend my stay in Himeji.

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 18:00
Yeah, that just means you can't check in before 5 (though most Japanese hotels are happy to hold your luggage at the front desk if you come before then.) It shouldn't be an issue at all to, say, check in at 7 or 8pm, which will give you as much time as you want at Himeji Castle.

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/8 18:01
Thanks man! Consider my question answered.

Re: Himeji Castle in half a day? 2017/3/9 02:19
Yes you can check in anytime after 5pm.
Would suggest you to drop off your luggage/bags before you head to Himeji (most hotels allow that) if its not too troublesome.
Also, at Himeji, you can try out a bike rental service (100yen for whole day) which can save you a bit of walking time. There are stations near and around the JR station and Himeji castle.
by R (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread