Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lion Side - does this make sense? 2017/3/8 16:48
I'm trying to translate "Lion Side" to Japanese. I'm not sure if the following makes sense:

Lion
ライオン

Side
サイド
by Haris sama  

Re: Does this make sense? ライオン サイド 2017/3/8 17:02
What does "lion side" mean, to begin with?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Does this make sense? ライオン サイド 2017/3/8 17:05
I meant it to mean "on the side of the lions".

Does ライオン サイド sound confusing or awkward?

How do I make it formal and polite?
by Haris sama rate this post as useful

Re: Does this make sense? ライオン サイド 2017/3/8 17:24
I had the same question as Firas. So you mean like being "on the side of lions" as against being on the side of humans (just as example), taking sides, choosing who you "side" with?

Then we would not use the "katakana" word for "side." We would say:
ライオン側 (read as "raion gawa")
or
ライオンの味方 (read as "raion no mikata"). "friends of lions" as against foe/enemy of them

Since it is only a phrase (and a very short one for that) there is no "formal" or "polite" about it - can you give the whole sentence how you would want to use this phrase?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Does this make sense? ライオン サイド 2017/3/8 22:04
Ah I see. Thanks for your help and guidance AK and Firas!

As a side note, I didn't realize how horrible it is to call yourself "sama" lol

Quote from http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/titles.html:
"Sama is also occasionally used about oneself, as in the arrogant male pronoun ore-sama, "my esteemed self", meaning "I". However, this is not common outside fiction or humour."

I can't seem to change my name either - I guess I'm stuck as an arrogant person forever!
by Haris sama rate this post as useful

Re: Does this make sense? ライオン サイド 2017/3/8 22:31
Write to the administrator of the forum via "Contact" at the bottom of the page - they might be able to change the name to one without the "sama" if it is not taken by someone else already :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread