Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

acceptance of prepaide mastercard 2017/3/9 20:57
What are the possibililty of majoriy of the shops to accept prepaid mastercard, unlike the traditional mastercard, these prepaide version are slightly different, some are sold like gift card without a name on the front, although you do have to sign the back, a personal prepaid mastercard has a name on the front, but instead of it etched into the card, the name is printed, some cards also have the 16 card number printed also. My real concern is that I need this card to be used for nissan rental to get a ETC card, and they only accept credit card payment and not cash.
by kms899  

Re: acceptance of prepaide mastercard 2017/3/10 11:45
I think car rental companies require a real credit card, because the credit card can be used as a collateral (in case you decide to steal the car, or something like it).
by Saburo T. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: acceptance of prepaide mastercard 2017/3/10 20:45
Thanks for the reply, Yep, I got a message from Nissan, they say they will not accept them.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: acceptance of prepaide mastercard 2017/3/11 13:21
the issuing bank is the best place to ask the question.

normally these types of prepaid cards (almost gift card like) are not accepted internationally.

there are international prepaid credit cards available that can be used overseas. but they are expensive to load funds. and normally give poor exchange rates.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: acceptance of prepaide mastercard 2017/3/11 20:56
There are a few available in Hong Kong , thats where I live, exchange rate is what the current exchange rate is + 1.8% for oversea transaction, for money withdrawn it's HKD 20 minimum or 1% of the transaction, so it isn't really expensive.

a total of 6 companies in Hong Kong has the licences to use prepaid mastercard and are issued by mastercard, and can be used locally or international with shops and ATM displaying the Mastercard logo.

But in all cases, it will depend on the actual shop whether they accept them or not, and in this case Nissan rental will not accept them.

Re: acceptance of prepaide mastercard 2017/3/12 06:10
Nissan rental don't accept credit cards? I find that odd.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: acceptance of prepaide mastercard 2017/3/12 07:56
They accept credit cards, but not prepaid credit cards.

reply to this thread