Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

fugu in late august- early september 2017/3/10 02:00
I'm going to tokyo from august 26th to september 4th. my question is, can i catch fugu meals? how much does the fugu costs.
by rceja0592  

Re: fugu in late august- early september 2017/3/10 16:09
as far as i know fugo is no seasonal dish and can be gotten around the year. prices are about 80-200 EUR, but if you just want to try it you can get some single sushi or sashimi in good sushi restaurants for about 10 EUR
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: fugu in late august- early september 2017/3/11 01:22
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: fugu in late august- early september 2017/3/11 16:50
Wild-caught fugu is in season during the winter months (approx. October to March), although you can find farmed fugu year-round at many fugu specialty restaurants.

Because of fugu's toxicity, restaurants need a special license to serve it, so you won't find it in regular sushi restaurants.

It's not particularly tasty though, and certainly not worth paying a huge price for. If you really want to try it, I'd suggest going at lunchtime, or ordering just a plateful rather than a whole expensive meal.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: fugu in late august- early september 2017/3/13 05:08
As sashimi it is lovely with the particular citrus sauce that they put on it, and cut so thin it is transparent-ish. But that is more the sauce that I like, I think. I've also had it boiled/stewed but really it was like a piece of chicken.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: fugu in late august- early september 2017/3/19 19:49
You can get Fugu year round, but once you've had it it's not worth the cost. You won't find it at 100\ sushi shops, but you can usually get a plate for about 1000\ at higher end sushi places. I've never had it with any kind of citrus sauce, nothing more than a few drops of lemon.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread