Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/11 00:51
Is this onsen still open?
I could not find it on the Japan-Guide map for Sakurajima and Kagoshima.

Also any others like it that is easily accessible by train?
by Shintai  

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/11 09:14
The onsen was closed several years ago!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/11 12:09
There are two hotels near where Furusato used to be: Sakurajima Hotel and Sakurajima Seaside Hotel.
by Saburo T. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/11 12:33
So-and-so onsen has two meanings: an onsen town (district) or a certain ryokan or hotel in an onsen town. Furusato onsen is a narrow onsen district on the southern edge of Sakurajima island. Of three hotels, two hotels are still open (Furusato Kanko Hotel was closed in 2012). And since Sakurajima is an island, you can not go there by train, but by ferry boat (15 minutes).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/11 19:23
In any case, the wonderful Ryujin Rotemburo outdoor bath has been closed for multiple years.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/12 01:36
An alternative near Kagoshima is the Ibusuki hot sand beach and baths which is reachable by train.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4677.html
by sjvacc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/12 05:35
NOTE: Sakurajima is no longer an island (since the 1914 eruption), there is a highway connecting it to the rest of Kyushu. See the Google map.
by Matayoshi99 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/12 09:58
You are right, but I know it's not a real island, for I am an inhabitant of Kagoshima city.
From Kagoshima city side, however it's always an island, even if it's connected to Osumi Peninsula by the long detour of express way. Anyway, I correct that it is an island. I will say it is an island which is not isolated from the other side of the bay.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Furusato Onsen Sakurajima 2017/3/12 21:47
Thanks for all the replies.
Its a shame it looked really unique, compare to the normal onsens, consider it had a shrine where the bath was.

Is there any thing else like it?
And what would you recommend to do in Sakurajima?
by Shintai rate this post as useful

reply to this thread