Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/11 01:15
I'm an American and I have been personal training in Boston for little over 6 years. I'm thinking of moving to Japan to work as a personal trainer in a gym that serves expatriates . Would I be able to get a work visa without having a degree?
by unamuno  

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/11 10:36
There does not seem to be a visa category for thzt in the first place. (One reason to reject the term "work visa" is that it gives the false impression that you can do any kind of job.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/11 10:52
I'm confused. If there is no visa category for personal trainers then how would I be able to qualify to get a job? I know there are foreigners that work as personal trainers in English speaking gyms but I just don't know if you need to have a degree or if 6 years in the industry without a degree is enough to meet the requirements and I don't know if you need to be able to speak Japanese in order to get a job in the English speaking gyms. If anyone has any insight into this it would be much appreciated.
by unamuno rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/11 11:31
I'm confused. If there is no visa category for personal trainers then how would I be able to qualify to get a job?{

If you were married to a Japanese citizen, and had a spouse visa or similar. There is no chronic shortage of people in that area, so there is no need to import more.

Sorry.

For degree waivers, you generally need 10 years experience.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/11 11:46
You *might* be able to get a skilled labor visa, for a sports trainer, with 3 years experience.

Sports Coaches: The Applicant requires at least three years coaching experience. This can include time spent majoring in relevant subjects at a foreign educational institution and time spent as a professional sportsperson (i.e., playing sport for remuneration.)

Alternatively, the Applicant may have competed in international sporting events such as the Olympics or World Championships.

However, I think you'd need an employer which is keen to get you specifically, and you'd need to be able to command a very solid salary. This is to say, you'd have to be fairly senior, since applying for these visas is neither cheap nor easy. They're not going to bother for someone who might be considered a general worker.

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/11 11:47
Sports coach may refer more to someone who is planning to coach the national soccer team, rather than someone working at a local gym.

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/11 13:52
I have a friend in Japan currently that does it. But he was previously a K1 fighter, married a Japanese national and speaks the language.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/15 14:04
I used to be a personal trainer but that's when I was a student. There is no personal trainer visa as Japan as a country does not need foreign personal trainers. Usually the condition for a visa is a job that the country is in need of that the locals can't provide. The personal trainers you see in gyms are usually either students or married to a Japanese person.
by S King rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan as a personal trainer? 2017/3/19 21:12
You would need to have an employer to sponsor your visa, and they would apply for a COE and identify the category of status you would be applying under.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread