Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Waseda SILS academically challenging? 2017/3/14 21:02
Hi, I've applied to Waseda SILS for their September entry and I'm looking for opinions from current/former students of the course.

I've read reviews from others that said SILS is not academically stimulating, and the teaching quality can be very dubious. Could I know whether the teaching is really as dull as mentioned? Some mentioned that it might not be worth the money to spend 4 years there undergoing an education that was considered far too easy for most.

It would be great if I could know some pros and cons of the course too! This would really help as it would really let me know whether or not I truly want to go for this course.

Thank you so much! :)
by sheems  

Re: Is Waseda SILS academically challenging? 2017/3/16 18:28
Alumni here. Not sure if it is because my home university is extremely challenging but the classes were indeed pretty dull and not very mentally stimulating to me. there were very little class participation and a significant portion of the Japanese students had no motivation to study and skipped tons of classes.
by alumni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Waseda SILS academically challenging? 2017/3/19 12:37
Thanks for your feedback! May I know what the employment opportunities are for an alumni like yourself?
by sheems rate this post as useful

Re: Is Waseda SILS academically challenging? 2017/3/19 18:32
Faculty: No, it is not. It's mostly a program for foreign students who basically need an excuse to live in Japan. The local Japanese students consider this a very easy degree. It's mainly for Japanese students who need any degree, and have business and corporate connections for employment once they graduate.

If you're a foreign student, you will basically have a degree that will qualify you for anything that doesn't have a specific major requirement. Outside that, the options are: teaching English since you are already in Japan and if you focus on acquiring Japanese proficiency than you can explore entry level, non-specialized positions requiring dual language ability in business and government employment.

by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread