Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/17 17:33
Hello All,

I know this question has been asked already, I did check a lot of posts in internet, but still I cannot decide... I am travelling to Japan, for the first time, at the end of April for two weeks -20.04-6.05. My plan was:
- 4 days in Tokyo, including 1 day trip to Nikko
- 1 night in Hakone
- 4-5 days in Kanazawa area - Takayama, Shirakawa-go.
- 4-5 days in Kyoto, including overnight at Koyasan, and a day trip to Nara.

I want to skip Osaka, Hiroshima and other cities - I really don't like to move too much around, prefer to stay in one place and explore it, even if it means to 'loose' important sights. I like rural areas (that is why I am planning to stay more time in Takayama, Shirakawago ect), and culture a lot! I feel Kyoto will be my favorite place, I am even thinking to cut a day in Tokyo. I might also skip Hakone, if the weather will not be perfect.

Why I am posting here is because I would really like to hear you opinions about Okinawa (particularly Ishigaki Island and a day trip to Taketomi). I know that around 99% people they have been asked the same question, they were saying that Okinawa is nice but not worth it for your first time in Japan, only for 14 days... But I would like to underline that I LOOOVE beaches, I cannot really imagine longer holidays with 3-4 days break at the beach :) And as I saw many post and beautiful pictures from Okinawa, especially Ishigaki, I am so tempted to go... I found quite cheap tickets to Ishigaki from Osaka, and if I decide on it , my plan will be:

- Tokyo: 2 days (probably skipping Nikko)
- Osaka: 1 day and overnight - morning flight to Ikshigaki
- Ishigaki: 4 days (including Taketomi)
- Kyoto: 4 days (including Koyasan)
- Kanazawa or Takayama: 3 days (including staying overnight in Shirakawa-go)
- my flight from Narita to Europe is in the morning (around 10:00 am) - is it ok to travel at night with Skinkansen to 'gain' one night and arrive to the airport (probably from Kanazawa) just before the flight?

I know the second plan looks quite busy but I would be happy to include Okinawa.
What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much for your replies!

Regards,
Paulina
by Paulina (guest)  

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/17 17:57
I know that around 99% people they have been asked the same question, they were saying that Okinawa is nice but not worth it for your first time in Japan

That's rubbish. If you want to go, then it's worth it, no matter if it's your first or 50th trip.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/17 21:47
At that time of year it's unlikely to be beach-holiday weather, and you may have clouds and rain, but you WILL have the beaches to yourself and that can make for some wonderful walks.
We were on Ishigaki last Easter, and loved it. Only problem is that it takes at least four days to spend 3 nights in Ishigaki- unless you can find a direct flight from the mainland.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/18 05:54
If you like "remote" than indeed Ishigaki & Iriomote (short ferry ride from Ishigaki) are worth the visit. These islands belong to the Okinawa group but are totally different from "mainland" Okinawa. Less crowded and less USA. Weather-wise it could be yes or not baking-on-the-beach conditions. In general Japanese don't like to sit and hang around on the beach so there is very little commercial for.
But great hikes and walks are to be made.
Culture wise, these islands are also closer to Taiwan than "Kyoto".
by Alishan rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/18 10:02
I have been to Japan several times and have agonised over many an itinerary so I know your pain. But what I have learnt is that sometimes less is more - I know you want to try and experience/see as much of the country as possible but honestly you will enjoy it more just spending more time exploring each city. I will be honest I have not been to Okinawa as yet as unlike you I am not really a beach person. However, I have been to Tokyo (many times) and for me it is a must city to explore especially for your first time in Japan and 2 days just isn't enough.

Trust me once you've visited Japan you will go again - just put Okinawa on your list for the next time and try and hit it when it's the best time to go.

by xpc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/18 19:34
thank you for being so helpful!

Maybe you are right, I just need to come back next time and visit Okinawa then... With a pain in my heart I am skipping it this time :(

Could I also ask you for a recommendation regarding a place /region to stay for up to 4 days - good for nature, relax, some outdoors onsens, small hikes - here I am taking into consideration: Takayama/Kanazawa OR Tohoku region OR Kamikochi (I read somewhere that around 25 April there is a mountain opening festival in Kamikochi, so it could be interesting).

The rest days I will split into Tokyo (plus Nikko) and Kyoto (plus Koyasan and Nara)

Thanks a lot!
by Paulina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/18 20:16
Being a native of Greater Tokyo, this is the first time I've heard that Okinawa is not worth it for your first time in Japan. Okinawa does not "represent" Japan, that I can say. It has a totally unique history, climate and culture which is different from those in mainland Japan. So to only visit Okinawa without seeing other parts of Japan may not really be the same thing as saying you've visited Japan. But Okinawa has always been known for having one of the best beaches in the world (yes, not in Japan, but the world), and I confirm that as a beach-lover.

You can definitely swim in April in Okinawa. I've enjoyed beach life in Okinawa mainland's northern part in March. It was not too hot, and in fact nice enough for accompanying my toddler then. As it is a great beach resort, you can stay there as long as you like, hop from island to island and never get bored.

But that's not what Okinawa is all about. There are monuments, museums, tourist villages and many more that tourists can visit each day there. Okinawa used to be an independent Kingdom, and then it also shared a unique and tragic point during WW2.

That said, the kindom/WW2 aspects are mainly in Okinawa Honto, the main island of Okinawa. I would surely say that if you are visiting Okinawa for the first time, you should visit the mainland Naha area too, because just going to beaches there is like just going to Okinawa without seeing anything in mainland Japan.

Why not narrow it down to "Kanto region and Okinawa" or "Kansai region and Okinawa" or "Hokuriku region and Okinawa"? And if you are going to Okinawa, I recommend that you rent a car after you get there.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/19 01:31
UCO I never said Okinawa was not a 'must' - as I stated I have not been so I couldn't possibly comment. I was merely just pointing out that I thought Tokyo was a must and deserved more than 2 days to see it. But you make a good suggestion to narrow it down to "Kanto region and Okinawa" or "Kansai region and Okinawa" or "Hokuriku region and Okinawa".
by xpc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/19 16:28
To xpc,

I was referring to the original poster's original question where she mentions "they were saying that Okinawa is nice but not worth it for your first time in Japan".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/23 00:16
Thank you lots for your posts!

I finally decided to skip Okinawa.. I love spending time at the beach but taking into consideration additional time/costs/efforts and not much guaranteed sunny weather in Okinawa at the end of April, PLUS my huge curiosity of exploring Japanese culture - I though it will be better to skip the island (this time!)

However, I would like to ask you if my (final) plan looks OK? (doable? not to rushy and too much time in transport?). I might add one more night in Tokyo (but not more, I definitely prefer to spend more time at countryside) :

22.04 - Tokyo
23.04 - Tokyo
24.04 - Tokyo
25.04 - train to Matsumoto and directly ride to Tsumago, overnight there
26.04 - Takayama in the afternoon, overnight there
27.04 - Kamikochi (I have read about Opening Festival on 27.04, I am trying to adopt my itinerary to be able to see festival. Have you heard it is worth? I assume it will be not the best weather yet, I am thinking if it is worth effort to get there, only to spend half a day. I also consider to spend a night in Okuhida and in the morning check the onsens around
28.04 - back to Takayama afternoon
29.04 - Takayama
30.04 - Shirakawago and overnight there
1.05 - Kyoto
2.05 - Kyoto
3.05 - Koyasan (overnight) OR Nara (which one of those would you choose?)
4.05 - afternoon and night in Kyoto
5.05 back to Tokyo afternoon
6.05 flight back (it is at 10:00 in the morning so probably the last day I need to spend in Tokyo)

Do you have any comments on this? Especially Takayama/Kamikochi/Kiso Valley? I would like to spend couple of relaxing days in between Tokyo and Kyoto in peaceful area, nature, onsens, villages.

I would appreciate a lot your answers!

Best,
Paulina
by Paulina (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: Koyasan or Nara 2017/3/23 02:40
I visited both Koyasan & Nara last year, and this year I am going back to see more of Nara.

Koyasan, where I spent 2 nights, was a bit of disappointment for me. There is a highway running through the middle of town, and the temples are on both sides of highway. It was not the image I envisioned of monasteries-in-remote-mountain, it was too commercialized. I'm sure it used to be less commercialized before the highway. Still, I am glad I went, but once was enough.

For me, one night in Nara was not enough. For tourists, Nara is all about temples/shrines/museums, sort of like Kyoto in smaller scale. But Nara has something Kyoto does not - the deers. Deers in the temples, deers in the shrines, deers in the park. You can buy these crackers sold by street vendors to feed the deers. They are tame and you can pet them. My friends back home have never heard of Nara (they all know Kyoto), but they are more fascinated by my selfie photos petting deers with temples in the background. I guess you can say that I am going back to Nara to feed the deers.
by Patt Moire (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa-worth for 14-days stay in Japan? 2017/3/23 04:28
Patt, you made me chuckle. If you want more deer action, but different scenery than Nara, you can also try Miyajima. Feeding the deer is discouraged there so the deer act a bit differently than the ones in Nara, but they still act like they own the place :)

Anyway, to the OP, Nara is highly recommend. It's often referred to as a kind of "Kyoto Lite" but it's much more than that, particularly if you like nature and taking it slow as unlike Kyoto where most of the temples are embedded within the city, in Nara most of the big draws are inside the huge and excellent Nara Park.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread