Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/17 19:23
I'll be travelling to Tokyo for long term stay and would like to know if fruits and vegetables are expensive in Tokyo? Is there any vegetarian food( can eat dairy food) in Tokyo?
by Black Joker  

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/18 11:33
Fruits are more expensive except bananas compared to world average prices.
Vegetables are also more expensive but those prices are depending on demand and weather conditions.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/18 13:13
The more reasonable-priced fruits and vegetables are of course those that are in season. Look for a supermarket or an old-fashioned shopping street (shoutengai) in residential areas, as opposed to department stores where food tend to be pricey.

Ready-made food is also sold at those places, and there are a lot of all-vegetable dishes as long as you don't mind the fish extract used to season them.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/19 18:51
As a vegetarian I would say yes, but it depends what you are comparing it too. The best deal I find is where you get 1Kg of small oranges in early summer for about 500\. Bananas are reasonable compared to other fruits, but generally some prices I see are:
300\ = bell pepper
350\ = tomato
200\ = cucumber
150\ = onion
600\ = spinach
Fruits are even more so a pair of apples can be 500\.
Quality varies a lot, a neighborhood stalls will be much less expensive than a supermarket or department store market, and you can pay even much more at places like Food Show in Shibuya.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/20 19:36
Thanks all for your reply.
by Black Joker rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 14:29

Banana ( 円 100 a piece) could be very expensive if you are comparing to what you pay in your county.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 14:51
That's what I was thinking, but relative for a piece of fruit of its size a banana at 100Y is one of the best deals.

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 14:51
Bananas are hardly sold as expensive as 100 yen a piece.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%83%90%E3%83%8A%E3%83%8A+%E5%80%A...

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 14:54
If you come from a majority 3rd world country to a 1st world country. You will find most things cost more. Personally I find Japan inexpensive compared to most of the world.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 17:40
PsyGuy is that for several tomatoes? I don`t recall seeing one regular tomato being 350yen, usually you can get a pack of 3 or more for a price like that. Also I never seen spinach that expensive either... Maybe Tokyo is alot more expensive? Because down in Kansai bell peppers, spinach and tomatoes are way cheaper than what you list them as...
by Jack (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 17:57
It would be about 100g worth.

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 20:57
In ordinary residential areas of Tokyo, it's cheaper too. Here, you can see that tomatoes can even be 90 yen a pack if it's on sale.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC+%E3%82%B9%E3%83%B...

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 22:19
I need to start shopping there, I know there are cheaper places but I live along the CBD in Ebisu and usually shop at Garden or Seijo (Atre), those are the general prices I've seen, but I've also shopped at the Daiso on Takeshita street (the bottom floor is groceries and is my go to place for pasta, diced tomatoes, and other pantry staples and canned goods. It's originally the place I went too for wine for cooking, because you get a 350ml bottle for 315Y). I've also shopped at Food Show
http://suq4y2a28lmqho672fl5ldv7-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/depachika_fruits.jpg
but that's not very relevant to the topic. It really depends where you live, I've found that there isn't a lot of savings traveling for better market prices.
Here's a photo of the produce selection from SainE across from TUJ:
http://templejapan.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/20140903_173933.jpg
Note that some of those big prices are for a single item.

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 22:28
*are NOT for a single item.

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/21 23:24

Banana ( 円 100 a piece) could be very expensive if you are comparing to what you pay in your county.
Where OP comes from a bunch of banana ( 20 pieces ) is about 20 THB, 70 yens.
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/22 01:01
Not in Japan

Re: Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/22 08:36
Not many locals buy groceries at Garden or Seijo or Daiso on a daily basis.

Is vegetable and fruit expensive in Tokyo? 2017/3/22 17:46
I think Tokyo is affordable and inexpensive.Why you rely on Banana,tomato or cucumber.I went moyan curryもうやんカレ House,where I ate unlimited amount of rice,veg,beef and pork curry for 1000円 per entry.So my 30 Days entry cost 30000円.So I suggest you go to Buffet Hotel and restaurants.My Japanese Friend always request:Do not waste Food,though it is a Buffet restaurant.
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread