Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 04:23
I am wondering how much to load onto an Icoca card that I won't be able to get a refund on (as we fly into Osaka but fly out from Tokyo, my understanding is that you cannot get the balance of your card refunded if you are outside the area in which you bought the card). Details: Staying in Japan for ten days. Will probably use an Icoca card and Haruka pass for the first day, then activate a 7 day JR pass the next day, and travel to and from Hiroshima that day, returning to Osaka. Will then spend 3 days more in Osaka, with side trips to Nara and Himeji on different days, and use subways/buses and JR trains around Osaka city. Then to Kyoto for four days and Tokyo for 4 days, no side trips, so just getting around the cities. Any advice on roughly how much it will cost to use transport in the cities in such circumstances for two travellers keen to see lots of sites? Also, I haven't actually purchased the Icoca and Haruka card, so if there are any alternatives that are more beneficial in our circumstances, feel free to advise! Thank you.
by Ramsey (guest)  

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 10:50
If you are concerned, just buy ordinary ticket for each trip from the ticketing machine
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 11:14
You can also return your Icoca before leaving Kyoto, and buy a Pasmo in Tokyo.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 11:30
1/ You can load increments at a time, and reload as you go. For example, put 2000Y in there when you arrive, then when you run out, add more.
2/ You can also use your card to pay at vending machines and convenience stores. Way better than digging around for cash.

I have a few dollars worth of yen left over each time I leave Japan. Not a big amount that I will miss, and I do always come back to use it later.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 12:01
Thank you for the advice - I have found the comments very useful. Lots of options with the cards, which will make it very easy to utilise.
by Ramsey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 13:50
You can get a JR one day pass for Tokyo for 1,590Y It will also work on Trains the TM (Tokyo Metro, Subways), Toneri Liner, Streetcars and Buses. You can purchase the pass for multiple days.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 14:47
Google map knows.

Japan Rail Pass is not matced for Hiroshima and after.
by Nazome (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/21 15:26
JR pass will get us to Hiroshima via Shinkansen Sakura according to JR website https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/japan-by-rail/travel-tips/about-hirosh... - takes about 90 minutes. We aren't going further south than Hiroshima, so should be all ok, I think.

by Ramsey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/22 20:47
No.
That "not mached" means Japan Rail pass is NOT cheaper.
Especially in Kyoto/Osaka/Nara is not so many "JR" lines
and will be short ride mainly so use again Google map.
https://goo.gl/maps/tXMyMEneMCC2

For taking Shinkansen Sakura by Japan Rail Pass is correct.
by Nazome (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of subway - how much per day? 2017/3/22 22:11
ICOCA may also be used in Tokyo, there is the interoperatibility between JR East and West.
by cyutekun rate this post as useful

reply to this thread