Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shikoku/Seto Inland Sea day trips 2017/3/22 13:50
Hi

I'm planning a 11 day Japan trip during April, starting at Hiroshima, then around Shikoku/Seto Inland Sea region (including Naoshima), and then finally 5-6 days at Tokyo.

Currently I can fit two day trips in my schedule, I've shortlisted these destinations:

Hiroshima (I will actually be staying at the city for 2 days at the start of my trip, but so far I can only fit in an afternoon 3 hour visit of the Peace Museum area + dinner, and an evening after visiting Miyajima - I'm not sure if an extra full day is recommended)

Kurashiki

Takamatsu

Okayama

Teishima

If you could only choose two, which ones would you pick and why? I would love to hear your suggestions!
by NoviceFlaneur (guest)  

Re: Shikoku/Seto Inland Sea day trips 2017/3/24 13:48
You probably meant to type Teshima, instead of Teishima which nobody has heard of.

I have never been to Teshima, so I have no personal experience to tell. I am planning a trip to Shodo Island, next to Teshima. I, too, was looking for a Seto island to visit, and I picked Shodo Island, because it is larger with more ferry services. It is also famous for olives and the location where the novel "24の瞳" was based.

Between Okayama (city) and Kurashiki, I would pick Kurashiki. Actually, Kurashiki is in Okayama Prefecture. Kurashiki is the largest and best restored historical village I visited (and I visited many). There is one cafe there I always go to, called Yumekuukan Hashimaya (夢空間はしまや), that is converted from an old Japanese style warehouse and it is absolutely charming. It's tucked behind a kimono store of the same name Hashimaya.

Takamatsu, or the entire prefecture of Kagawa, is most famous for udon noodles. If you love udon, Kagawa Prefecture (people call it the Udon Prefecture) is a must eat destination.

by Mei-1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku/Seto Inland Sea day trips 2017/3/24 15:54
Thank you Mei-1! I actually thought of going to Shodoshima, but I reckon it’ll be very hard to explore the island properly and leisurely within just one day (limited itinerary unfortunately). I’ll certainly keep your recommendations in mind re Kurashiki though!
by NoviceFlaneur (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread