Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to carry money 2017/3/22 18:23
How can we carry money?I am planning to carry 80% money in Prepaid forex card and 20% in cash.

Is it the correct way to do?
by Rahul Raj  

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/23 11:57
Sometimes Japan is said to be a gcash societyh so many shops/restaurants donft accept credit card, but as a Japanese I would say this situation has been changed in recent years. I am iving in rural area in southern Kyushu, but most of the supermarkets now accept credit cards. The only one I know which doesfnt accept credit card is a gFishermanfs Marketh. Small restaurants usually donft accept credit cards, but many chain restaurants and high-end (in the rural area) restaurants accept it. Of course, hotels and convenience stores accept credit cards.

When I go to foreign countries, I always carry two credit cards and keep them in a separate place (like one in my purse, one in my bag) and some Japanese yen (maybe 200000 to 300000 yen) in my suitcase. I donft use Japanese yen, it is just for in case I loose both of my credit cards. I use my credit card to withdraw cash from the ATM. If I find the credit card icons in the shops/restaurants I use it: when they are not found, I pay by cash. I think you can do the same in Japan.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/23 13:55
I disagree with the above poster, compared to a lot of western countries (my home is London) Japan is very much a cash based society, the only thing used more than cash is IC card. With your prepaid FOREX card you will have to use ATMs at Japan Post or some of the banks that do currency exchange, you will also be paying fees and exchange rates. I'd bring half in cash and then midway through your trip take the other half out of the FOREX or your bank account using ATM.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/23 14:22
I got over the taking money out of my credit card idea after the first two trips. Post Office is a pain and using the bank's services is even more of a pain and you have to pay their translator so you can conduct the transaction with them in legally-required Japanese. Save the cards for paying your hotel, duty-free shop purchases, leaving and returning to the states expenses at the airport, and maybe a few big-name restaurants. Divide your cash up into "losable" amounts and carry maybe two of the bundles in separate parts of your outfit. Leave the rest in the safe back at the hotel. Oh, one more thing; any commercial bank in the chain with which you have your accounts can beat the Forex exchange rates by at least 1% and you don't wind up feeling like you're laundering money to get your Yen. VISA, its never anywhere you want to be (in Japan, especially Kyoto).
by johnnyman rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/23 20:37
Depends how much you carry.
Personally only had 110,000 yen Cash. for 2 weeks
And kept that in my back pack that I take everywhere.

Really depends where you go, If you stick to major cities, cards might be more acceptable.
And access to a Post office to use your card to withdraw money, maybe easier to find.

But overall just having the cash instead of worrying about a card is easier.
by Shintai rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/23 20:48
I also prefer carrying cash, because my bank charges me every time I use my card outside the Euro-zone. Bank charges can get real high, real fast, so take that into account.

Last time I had 180000 yens for my 22-day trips, and did not use my credit card at all during my stay.
by Vienna Logan rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/23 22:50
I take cash to cover the whole trip but use credit cards for splurge purchases and have my ATM card to use at the post office just in case I need more cash. The cash gets kept in bulk in a travel pouch where the passports are, which is always on either myself or my husband. We work on daily budget and take out money from the bulk lot to put in our wallets each day or two. The money is never left in luggage.

I would never ever consider carrying large amounts of cash in my home country (Australia) however Japan is much safer so I consider it to be fine to do though obviously being cautious and aware at all times.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/25 08:42
Work out where it is cheaper to get cash (before you leave or when you arrive). You can easily do all your spending money in cash, and leave large items like hotels to pre-paid or credit card.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/25 14:43
That's what I would do. Use the CC for the Hotel and the rest cash.

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/26 05:31
Thanks for the reply.I think i wil take more in Pre paid Forex card and less in cash since i am travelling alone and will stay in hostels.So cards will be more safe.
Bank will charge me 250 Yen for each withdrawal

@Shintai
You spent only 110,000 yen Cash. for 2 week including?
@Vienna Logan
Only 180000 yens for my 22-day trip ?Did it include everything.

by Rahul Raj rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/26 08:37
Does the prepaid Forex card charge you to put money on it?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/26 09:25
I change all the money I've brought to Japan upon entry and at the airport. I've already totaled all my necessities (hotels, rail passes, etc) beforehand, so I know that money cannot be touched. I have a billfold and I put all the necessities in the pocket of one side and all the remainder in the other side. I leave that in the room safe and only take out what I think I'll need that day for additional expenses. I don't take out too much for expenses (indulgences) that way if I don't have enough, then it gives me a night to think about the purchase (which usually doesn't go through). I've never had any issue exchanging up to 800,000yen at once. As long as it's in my personal area (jacket, pants, etc.) I've never felt unsafe. Of course, I don't carry it all at once, unless I am traveling by train or air to the next destination.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/26 22:18
@HAKATA
yes .
by Rahul Raj rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/27 07:04
I always take cash for the whole trip. Have a credit card for special treats/emergency but on the whole just cash. It is such a safe country and for me it's the best way to budget.
by xpc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/27 07:14
Hi,
My 5 cents:
As I find it expensive to buy Yen in my home country I just buy 20.000 Yen or so to cover any expenses the first couple of hours after arriving (like a meal/drink and train/taxi from airport to the first hotel).
After that i get cash for a couple days like 50.000 Yen using my debit card at a post office ATM. I can use only my debit card at a postal office and not at the numerous ATM's you find all around which is a little bit a drawback given the opening hours of these offices.
For hotels and larger buys i use my credit card.
So far i found this the most economic way getting and spending Yen's..

I looked into the possibility of using Bitcoins for getting Yen's. However there are yet very limited operating bitcoin exchanges in Japan/Tokyo and they charge high exchange cost. So i do not think this is the way to go yet. If somebody is using Bitcoins i am very interested to hear about your experiences.

Regards
B. Slager
by Butchijo rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/27 16:55
I only use credit cards for hotels and sometimes duty free shopping and cash for everything else.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to carry money 2017/3/27 21:57
Japan is extremely safe.

reply to this thread