Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Free Pass - stopover 2017/3/22 18:29
Hi I am planning to go to Hakone.
My plan is to leave from Shinjuku and pass to visit the Doraemon Museum, stopping at Mukogaoka-yuen on the Odakyu line. After the visit of the museum, on the same day take again the Odakyu line to go to Hakone.
I will stay one night in Gora and then the way back from Hakone to Shinjuku.
Does the Hakone free pass from Shinjuku allow me to have a stop over in Mukogaoka-yuen before arriving to Hakone?
by cyutekun  

Re: Hakone Free Pass - stopover 2017/3/23 11:58
I believe not. You cannot make a stopover outside the "free area." You might consider buying single tickets from/to Shinjuku to Mukogaokayuen and buy the free pass starting from Mukogaokayuen.
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass - stopover 2017/3/23 16:21
I asked also Odakyu railway, and actually is possible.

Here below their answer.

Yes, it is possible to make a brief stop. However, please mention that when you get off the station, please show the freepass to the staff to get off the station. Please do not insert the freepass into the machine to get off the station when you plan to visit the Doraemon museum.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Yang/Fukushima

Re: Hakone Free Pass - stopover 2017/3/23 16:26
That was very Japanese of them.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass - stopover 2017/3/23 16:47
That was very Japanese of them.

Well, in general, stopover is not allowed in most of non-JR trains so I thought this is the “discretion” of the person at the service center. However, their official site says:
小田急線区間(発駅〜小田原駅)のご乗車は往復1回に限ります。(ただし、途中下車の制限はありません。途中下車をご希望の場合は、係員にお申し出ください。)

My translation: You can ride from your starting station to Odawara only once for each direction. (However, there is no restriction for the stopover between your starting station to Odawara. You can stopover unlimitedly, but no backtrack. If you want to stopover, please contact with our station staff.)

http://www.odakyu.jp/train/couponpass/hakone/

I think this is quite unusual, but it’s Odakyu’s policy. I don’t know whether it’s very Japanese though :).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread