Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions for 3 day travel from Tokyo 2017/3/23 07:20
Hello, I will arrive in Tokyo late June for 3 days solo before meeting travel companions in Tokyo for a few days from where we will go on to Kyushu for 10 days. I am considering travel to Kyoto, although I have been 3 times before, or Kamakura where I spent a day once and enjoyed it enough to consider returning for a few days with also including Enoshima. I will have the JR 21 day pass. This is my 4th trip to Japan in the last 5 years. I am 61, fairly fit, like small towns/villages, culture, history, food and slowish travel. Your suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks, Sarah
by Sarahbench  

Re: Suggestions for 3 day travel from Tokyo 2017/3/23 14:15
Having a JR pass you can go every direction and Tokyo is the hub of Shinkansen trains. Late June is the rainy season and it might be very hot if it doesnft rain. I would go north by Tohoku shinkansen to, well Morioka, maybe, and drive around the mountain area (Hachimantai etc.). Nagano or Niigata are other candidates both of which will be slightly cooler and have less rain than Tokyo.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for 3 day travel from Tokyo 2017/3/23 14:55
Agreed, it can be extremely hot that time of year (though I was at Hakone in early June and it was actually pretty cool) so I'd be looking for places known to be cool. Closer to Tokyo, I suppose Karuizawa, Kamikouchi, and Nikko come to mind, though Karuizawa and Kamikouchi are more overnight things than staying 3 days.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for 3 day travel from Tokyo 2017/3/23 15:45
Thank you frog1954 and Lazy Pious, good suggestions however I come from an area with a very hot summer climate so I don't mind the heat. I also won't have a car.
by Sarahbench rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for 3 day travel from Tokyo 2017/3/23 22:39
Have a look at this page http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2422.html

Are you meeting your companions in Tokyo?
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for 3 day travel from Tokyo 2017/3/23 22:41
Oops, missed the bit where you said you were meeting in Tokyo.

I agree with Tohoku, perhaps Yamadera, Kakunodate, Aizu-Wakamatsu
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread