Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen tickets 2017/3/23 11:09
Hi can anyone share the correct link to reserve Tokaido Shinkanzen tickets for Tokyo Stn to Odawara Stn? I found 2 websites that gave me huge difference in fare rates.
Thank you.
by Sushi fan (guest)  

Re: Shinkanzen tickets 2017/3/23 11:42
There is no real need to reserve the tickets just yet. Just wait until you get to Japan and do it there. There are enough trains in a day that stop at Odawara.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkanzen tickets 2017/3/23 13:55
I agree there is no reason to do it that far in advance.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen tickets 2017/3/24 03:35
Regarding the Tokaido Shinkansen (Tokyo -- Nagoya -- Shin-Osaka), I suppose currently three is no JR official website in English via which you can reserve train seats or purchase tickets from outside Japan.

Every train which is available on the Tokaido Shinkansen has cars of seats which cannot be reserved, where the seats are secured on a first come, first served basis.

As also other posters say, usually you are not strongly advised to book your Tokaido Shinkansen ride for the section between Tokyo (or Shinagawa) and Odawara.
Travelers and business persons who hurry to Tokyo, Shinagawa, Nagoya, Kyoto or Shin-Osaka Station would highly likely choose faster trains skipping Odawara Station, which are more frequently available than the trains making a brief stop there.

During busy days (like New Year days from around the 28 of December), even slower trains on the Tokaido Shinkansen may be crowded, but there seem to be some passengers who choose to stand in a jam-packed car over sitting at a revered seat, which may result in a vacancy in seats which require reservation.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen tickets 2017/3/24 20:33
@ Sushi fan

Guess you just not unferstanding basic rule of train ticket of "JR".
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/types.html
(Which sites opened?)

Btw Tokyo and Odawara all fastest "Nozomi" won't be stopping at Odawara.
Other "Hikari" has 5, "Kodama" has 7 non-reserved cars of 16 no worry if not in super busy week.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html
by Pizza eater (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen tickets 2017/3/25 08:44
There is no "big difference" between sites. You need both the seat fee and the express fee (even if you don't have a reserved seat.). See the link in the post above.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread