Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

high school for foreigners 2017/3/24 12:57
i just passed jr high school in my country and now my parents and i decided to join high school in japan. my parents are there so i want to be with them so i decided to join high school in japan. Are there high school for foreigners where i could be able to learn japanese .
by alisa (guest)  

Re: high school for foreigners 2017/3/24 17:51
Assuming your parents are Japanese nationals, or they have a legal permission to live in Japan (e.g. working in Japan), you would attend a regular high school, and would probably be given some tutoring in Japanese language by the staff at that school. Or you could attend an international school which would be taught in English, although these are expensive.

High school is important, since your grades at the end will determine which university you can attend. I think it would be difficult for you to do well on tests administered in Japanese language. You should carefully discuss this with your parents. I think you should be careful not to jeopardize your future.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: high school for foreigners 2017/3/24 18:16
Might be better off taking a year off and learning Japanese. Then just go to a regular high school. But since your parents are already in Japan. Have a big discussion with them. They should be able to find better options for you in their local area.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: high school for foreigners 2017/3/24 19:18
What year did you complete in your home country?
Primary school in Japan is years 1-6. Junior high school (JHS) is years 7-9 and Senior High School is years 10-12. If you completed middle school in the US that would be year 8 and you would still be in JHS for year 9 in Japan.

There are international schools but you have to pay fees. You could go to a Japanese school but it is taught in Japanese. If you went to one you would be getting a lot of Japanese language tutoring. The other option is there are a couple of IB public schools in Japan that teach in English.
International School of Asia, Karuizawa
University of Tsukuba Senior High School at Sakado
Sapporo Kaisei Secondary School
Tokyo Gakugei University International Secondary School
Of these only the last two have middle school (MYP) English programs.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread