Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

National Holiday crowd in Kyoto 2017/3/24 16:52
Hi all! This is my first family vacation to Kansai and I am sooooo excited about it! However, after booking of air tickets, i realised it is near to Labor Day in Japan upon my arrival. I would really love your inputs on how I should plan my travel?
I am traveling with my family - 2 adults and 2 young children

22 Nov - Depart for Kyoto by limousine bus; staying over in Kyoto for 3 nights
23 Nov - Kinkakuji / Ryoanji / Ninnaji / Nishiki Market / Shijo area
24 Nov - Arashiyama / Sagano railway (if not crowded) / Iwatayama Monkey park / Fushimi Inari Shrine
25 Nov - Depart for Osaka ; exploring Shinsaibashi/Dotonburi/Namba area
26 Nov - Day trip to Nara
27 Nov - Day trip to Kobe
28-29 Nov - Explore Osaka and its places of interests
30 Nov - Home sweet home

BUT, 23rd is Labour day and people warned me about the heavy crowds in Kyoto; since the holiday is on a Thursday, the whole weekend might be as busy due to possibility of people taking leave on Friday. I would like to know if really holiday crowds are so bad since most attractions in Kyoto are by bus and i heard the bus queues can be very long. Also, this period is autumn foliage right?

How about the holiday crowd in Osaka? How you advice if my above itinerary is still do-able? I planned this way as it will be easier to take bus from Itami Airport right to Kyoto Station and JR to Osaka station thereafter. Will it be better if I stayed in Osaka during the national holidays and head back to Kyoto after the national holiday period? (but i do not wish to lug my luggage to and fro because i am traveling with kids)

TIA!

by Rachel (guest)  

Re: National Holiday crowd in Kyoto 2017/3/24 18:17
I can't help you, everywhere you go is going to be crowded respective to the region. You either join the crowd or stay in.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: National Holiday crowd in Kyoto 2017/3/24 18:23
I've been told to treat public holidays like weekend days. Government and official businesses are closed. Every thing else is busy. Labour day might be a little more serious holiday though.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National Holiday crowd in Kyoto 2017/3/24 18:28
I understand.. But comparing to crowds,is it lesser in Osaka compared to Kyoto?
by Rachel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National Holiday crowd in Kyoto 2017/3/24 18:50
It is not really dependent on which city for worse/big crowds. But locations and times you may travel.

Kinkakuji and Fushimi Inari for example with narrow pathways can get crowded and you'll be swallowed up. Where Nara with its large open green expanse handles larger crowds better.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread