Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rudeness from tourists? 2017/3/24 17:02
I went to some bridge in Japan, narrow walk and as time passed I noticed my buss left soon. Got back over the bridge and two young girls walking side by side in the same direction as me and as I closed up on them they just looked over their backs and didnt seem bothered at all that I was in a hurry trying to get past them. Several sumimasen didnt work either. Fortunately I caught the bus but could as well have missed it. Did they ignore me on purpose or was I not clear enpugh to get past?
by Rex (guest)  

Re: Rudeness from tourists? 2017/3/24 17:50
We're not in their heads... Contrary to a common misconception, Japan has its fair share of rude and inconsiderate people. Deal with them as you would anywhere else.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Rudeness from tourists? 2017/3/24 18:01
Some people are listening to music on their earphones, busy with their own conversation or otherwise have their minds with something else that they simply don't hear anything. Another thing could be that "sumimasen" was a language they did not understand, meaning they could have been other tourists. With locals, "sumimasen" or "sumimasen, tooshite kudasai" (excuse me, please let me pass) would get the message across.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Rudeness from tourists? 2017/3/24 19:33
Sumimasen, tooshite kudasai would have been more appropriate.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Rudeness from tourists? 2017/3/25 19:15
I agree that they may not have been Japanese speakers, because that happens a lot nowadays. That said, I would have just went ahead and passed through while saying "sumimasen" at the same time. I've traveled to many countries and noticed that this is what people generally do around the world. In other words, if someone just says "sumimsen" (or "excuse me" or whatever), the listeners may not understand what the sumimasen is about. They might think that the speaker wants to ask a question or that it could even be a come-on.

By the way, I do notice that girls, at least in Japan, tend to insist on walking side by side and hardly try to move to the front or the back. I guess they're scared of being left out or something, I don't know... That's one of the reasons I was never really comfortable being a girl.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread