Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About rail passes 2017/3/24 19:35
If I have a rail pass, for example the JR Kansai Area Pass, covering the trains until Wakayama, and I use a train passing Wakayama to go to Shirahama... what should I do? Buy a ticket for the uncovered section before I get on the train... or to buy the ticket at the Adjustment Fare machine in Shirahama station? And in the case I use a LTD EXP?
Thanks!
by Piuma  

Re: About rail passes 2017/3/25 11:56
Yes, you will have to pay the fare for the uncovered section.

There are three possibilities:

1) buy it in advance at the ticket counter or machine (recommended)
2) buy it on board from the conductor (not always possible)
3) buy it when you get at the manned gate (you probably cannot do so at the fare adjustment machine)

And in the case I use a LTD EXP?

You have to pay the limited express fee for the uncovered section. In case you use a reserved seat, it becomes slightly more complicated and best taken car of at a manned ticket counter before the trip.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: About rail passes 2017/3/25 11:58
Wait, sorry. Limited express trains are not covered by the Kansai Area Pass (except unreserved seats on the Haruka). If you use a limited express, you have to pay the limited express fee for the entire journey. By that time it is probably better to consider the Kansai Wide Area Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: About rail passes 2017/3/25 18:02
Thank you Uji! Another question... if I buy the ticket for the uncoverd section (number 1), have I to put it inside the machine in the first station I get on the train? Or just to put it in the machine at the final station?
For example... a trip Osaka-Shirahama, the pass will cover until Wakayama. So, I buy a ticket for the section Wakayama-Shirahama at Osaka Station, what should I do with this ticket? :)
by Piuma rate this post as useful

Re: About rail passes 2017/3/25 18:30
The ticket will probably not be accepted by either machine; show it at the manned gate.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Rail pass and additional tickets 2017/3/26 00:46
Most typical and common ticket-vending machines installed in JR stations are designed just to issue a one-way basic-fare ticket to be valid from that station and on that day only.
(The situation is the same also concerning many non-JR rail operators.)

To purchase in Osaka Station your JR basic-fare ticket to be valid from Wakayama Station, you visit a ticket counter or, find a highly-specified ticket-vending machine (with a yellow-green board) and designate your route from Wakayama (by touching a panel).

When you choose a JR-West Kansai Area Pass (over a Kansai WIDE Area Pass), the best solution which I can suggest is to buy your pass and additional ticket(s) for the section from Wakayama together at once at a same JR-West ticket window.

Beyond Wakayama Station, on the section Gobo(h) -- Kii-Tanabe -- Shirahama, trains are only infrequently available.
I recommend that you consult with the staff at the ticket window and check the timetable.

And in the case I use a LTD EXP?
For example... a trip Osaka - Shirahama
I buy a ticket for the section Wakayama - Shirahama at Osaka Station

Is Osaka Station the nearest JR station from your Osaka hotel?

Please note that Limited Express Kuroshio trains do not run via Osaka Station; neither do Kansai Airport Limited Express Haruka trains.
Shin-Osaka and Tennoji Stations are the only stations in Osaka City where Kuroshio and Haruka trains are available.
(Similarly, the only Shinkansen station in Osaka City is Shin-Osaka Station.)

In contrast, Kishu(u)ji Rapid trains connecting Osaka City and Wakayama Prefecture do not run via Shin-Osaka Station, neither do Kansai Airport Rapid trains.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: About rail passes 2017/3/26 06:17
Since it costs about 4,000 yen between Wakayama and Shirahama one way. You might be better off looking at another pass that will cover you the whole way.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About rail passes 2017/3/26 06:20
A Kansai WIDE Area Pass is 8,500 yen. Might as well get that.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread