Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/26 22:30
I'll be touring around these destinations for 23 days. I am thinking of purchasing 1 week of JR pass and not sure that is feasible. Any help to my itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Day 1 - Land in Osaka

Day 1-7 Based in Osaka , Day Trip from Osaka to Kobe and Nara via Metro(?)

Day 8 - Activate JR pass, Shinkansen from Osaka to Kyoto

Day 8 - 11 Explore Kyoto

Day 12 - Shinkansen from Kyoto to Mt Fuji.

Day 12-13. Explore Mt Fuji

Day 14. Last day of JR pass, Shinkansen to Tokyo.

Day 14 - 20 - Explore Tokyo

Day 21-22 - Explore Yokohoma & maybe nearby cities via Metro (?)

Day 23 Return back
by Zeys  

Re: Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/27 17:34
JR pass will not be worth it for you. Basically you need to round trip Osaka-Tokyo for it to pay off, and you're only using it one way.

7 days in Osaka strikes me as rather long, even including day trips to Kobe and Nara. On the other hand 3 days in Kyoto might be a bit short (though this depends on your appetite for temples and shrines.)

I would recommend considering adding Hiroshima and Miyajima to your itinerary. (And if you do, a JR pass might be worth it again.)
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/27 21:40
Adding unnecessary trips to make a JR pass payoff is false economy. But basically single tickets is cheaper from the information posted.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/27 21:51
The JR pass is not going to pay off for you economically, however the convenience might be worth while for you compared to single tickets.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/28 07:43
Alright, how do i differentiate a shinkansen station from a metro station? I was looking at hyperdia.com and notice for Namba, there is Namba (Nankai ) and Namba (Subway).
by Zeys rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/28 08:19
@JapanCustomTours
I wasn't suggesting Hiroshima in order to make the JR pass pay off, I was suggesting it on its own merits. I only mentioned the pass because it would impact the answer to his original question.

@Zeys
Well, if the station names aren't different, you'll usually see disambiguation in parenthesis like in your Namba example. If you're looking for the shinkansen stop in Osaka, it's Shin-Osaka station.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/30 07:45
That really helps, what are the differences between subways and nankai?
by Zeys rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary & JR Pass Help 2017/3/30 08:10
Hyperdia clearly states what company each leg of a journey is. subway, private railway, third party railways, JR companies. There are so many to list within Japan. To get a quick answer, use google.

You can only use a JR pass for JR companies trains and buses. There are some exclusions, but these are clearly stated on the JR companies websites.

You travels don't require the use of a JR nation wide pass as you have very little long distance travel. You would be better served by local/regional 1/2/3/4/5 day passes.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread