Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching English in Japan without a degree? 2017/3/28 22:27
Hello!

Firstly, I would just like to start off by saying sorry if this bell has been rung a few times here already. I've had a look around on forums regarding this question, however most seem to be dated from almost 10 years ago so I'm hoping someone can tell me whether or not the working holiday requirements have loosened since to allow non-degree holders to apply for the visa. I've had a look at the requirements online which had no mention of a bachelors degree being necessary but that they only accept 1000 applicants from the UK annually.

I'm 22, mature, well-presented, well-spoken however only educated up to A-levels. I'm starting a four week intensive CELTA course at the end of this month to gain some teaching skills and hopefully use it as a means of getting my foot in the door.

As I mentioned previously, I found many people a long while ago saying you need a 4-year degree OR 3 years relevant work experience, but as this isn't mentioned on the working holiday visa requirements I thought it was worth asking again.

If it turns out that I still need one or the other, I may try and spend 3 years teaching in China (as its nearby) to meet the requirements and gain some experience - I've also heard its far more lenient than other Asian countries.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Alice
by Alice (guest)  

Re: Teaching English in Japan without a degree? 2017/3/29 11:48
Please note that working holiday visa and work visa are two different things.

WHV is based on special agreements between some countries, and designed to allow young people to travel extensively in a foreign country while giving them an opportunity to earn some pocket money while traveling, and has some limits duration (one year I believe), age, place of residence when applying, etc. for this there isn't any degree requirement.

If you want to work under a work visa however, for English teaching positions you need either a bachelor's degree or three or more years of English teaching experience.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching English in Japan without a degree? 2017/3/29 15:52
And don't assume that the rest of the world knows what A-levels or CELTA mean.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching English in Japan without a degree? 2017/3/29 17:55
And don't assume that the rest of the world knows what A-levels or CELTA mean.

You have a point with the UK specific A Levels but any EFL teaching professional should certainly know what CELTA is.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching English in Japan without a degree? 2017/4/3 23:02
Most job ad mention 'degree' as a basic criterion , but actually some companies employ non-degree holders provided that they have enough teaching experience required for visa.
http://ishijls.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-1.html

In Japan, TESOL seems to be well known than CELTA, but CELTA is ok.

by Ellen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching English in Japan without a degree? 2017/4/4 09:52
For a "working holiday visa," you don't need a bachelor's degree.

For a "work visa," for teaching English, you need either a bachelor's degree or three or more years of experience teaching English elsewhere.

The OP was confusing these two - and while 3 years teaching English in China would make her eligible for a work visa, she would not be able to apply for working holiday visa while she is living in China. So she needs to know the distinction clearly.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching English in Japan without a degree? 2017/4/5 11:17
come to japan under WHV .. during your WHV study japnese. before the 1year runs out, enrol in school 1year in semon gakko... then look for job and they will sponsor your visa.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread