Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/3/31 06:05
Hi again!
I have two questions.
1. How is the food that is going out or short date marked in the grocery stores? For exaple fresch food that sells after 08.00 in evening.
2. And how to advertise sales in department stores. Discount sign? Red circle? Word SALE? Or something similar. Thanks.
by Ekaterina71  

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 00:38
Nobody?
by Ekaterina71 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 12:51
Hi Ekaterina71,

I just saw your question now, but I don't quite understand it.

Do you want to know which are the merchandise in cheaper prices than the original prices? If so, they often have labels like this:

‚P‚O“ˆø‚«
”¼Šz
ƒZ[ƒ‹
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 12:53
Sorry, I seemed to have accidentally pressed the "submit" button before completing my post.
From top, it means "10% off", "half price" and "sale (which means bargain)".

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 16:03
I think I understand what your asking. Maybe something similar to when I visited family in the northern area of the Philippines. Daily baked bread sold at regular price but after a certain time of day like late afternoon/early evening sold at discounted price to sell of daily remaining stock or even more discount following day or 2 for remaining. Also, any food like premade bento/plates/food sold at discount later in the day.

If this is what your asking...I'm curious also. I'm traveling solo and would like to save some extra money by eating discounted food for some of my nights. Maybe some of those food basement places in department stores late in the day might slash prices to sell off remaining food. Hoping anyone can confirm or not.
by hibell77 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 18:01
Yes, I understand what types of bargains you are talking about, but I don't understand what you specifically want to know.

Do you want to know how they taste? Do you want to know how to look for them? Are you also asking about games? What games? Video game software?

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 20:24
I mean so. In Sweden we have red cirkel sticker on the food Box for example . It says clear: Halv price on swedish, The same in other european langusges as we can understand, But we dont know How it would be written in Japanese.
Red cirkel ? 50 % Sign ?
Games - I mean video games, manga stafs. We always have great discounts after Christmas and in middle of June, Everywhere you can see SALE or REA in shop windows. Is it something like this in Japan and where.
by Ekaterina71 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 22:14
I think this is what you mean (I just found a random picture on the web):

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20170107/13/datekazuo/92/0b/j/o0588044113839886218.jpg?caw=800

Usually in the evening the prepared food in supermarkets/grocery stores are discounted. There will often be a second sticker placed on top of the original price sticker, and sometimes you'll catch a group of people following a worker around as the worker places the stickers on the food. It will be in bright colors like red or yellow to make it pretty obvious that its discounted, but there isn't a standard one that all places use.

For department stores, usually ƒZ[ƒ‹ plus how much off, 20% or 50% in regular numbers. In fact a lot of them will have SALE in English even. I don't think you'll have much trouble identifying it!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 22:19
https://goo.gl/ZzfOCh

Read above article about discount price, how to understand the discount sticker.

Do note that the following,
Discounts will sometimes be displayed in terms of percentage off, and sometimes in amount of yen off.
g~‰~ˆøh (gxx yen bikih) on stickers indicates the amount of yen discounted from the original price.
”¼Šz (hangaku) mean half-price from the original price.

Unless items are packaged for festival or special occasion related, you won't find much discount.

Freshly prepared food such as bento, side dishes, shashimi etc. will be discounted gradually until closing time. For example bento prepared before noon may be discount for 30-50 yen around 4pm, and upto 70% when near closing time, 8-9 pm.
Items near it shelf life will also be sold at discounted price.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Games and books 2017/4/1 22:47
I don't do games, but books including manga must be sold at a fixed price that is printed on the cover.

Exceptions are used books that are sold by stores under a different license or contract. If you go to one of the many used books stores which are called ŒÃ‘“X you can find second-hand books of all kinds in very cheap prices.

You can also look out for signs that says ’†ŒÃ which means "used" that applies for second-hand item of any kind. Another handy term is "recycle" which is written as ƒŠƒTƒCƒNƒ‹

At some huge second-hand franchise stores such as BOOKOFF, they often put out little wagons full of merchandise that are even cheaper, just like they do for food at supermarkets or clothes at malls.

Re: Discounts - food, clothes and games 2017/4/1 23:03
Thank you Scarreddragon , Uco and others! Very good explanation!
/from economical mom :-)
by Ekaterina71 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread