Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Zenzen + affirmative 2017/4/4 19:55
Recently I found out that sometimes Japanese native speakers use zenzen + affirmative, such as 'zenzen daijoubu' or 'zenzen OK'.

I wanted to do a survey among Japanese native speakers to become more knowledgeable about Zenzen + affirmative.

I wouldn't mind comments below here either, it's all very interesting, for example if you use it and why you use it.

I would appreciate it if a few people could help me out, thank you very much.

These links both link to the same survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4unXSvd17bld2phlsjULGUMAnqT...

https://goo.gl/forms/DRznZAePrYZno5tG3
by Britt6  

Re: Zenzen + affirmative 2017/4/5 10:22
Survey done.
I know I belong to the "old fashioned" people, but in my mind, "zenzen" should go with negative.
The only times I find it "somewhat" acceptable in casual situations is when it is used with affirmative in response to a question "are you OK" - not hurting or not in pain or not too busy, etc., expressing a concern, and the answer is meant to dissipate that concern with emphasis. So that is why my answer is "just a bit acceptable" (not much though) for "zenzen daijoubu" or "zenzen heiki," as those I consider are like saying "Zenzen mondai nai (as you might be worried about)."
From a Japanese woman around age 50 :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Zenzen + affirmative 2017/4/5 11:17
I tried to answer your suvey, but I stopped, because most of the dialogs of your survey are not natural between friends and co-workers. You have made all of your dialogs with -desu form and you ask if the use of zenzen in these dialogs are acceptable. Whether zenzen + affirmative is acceptable or not depends on the level of speach and the relationship of the people. I am sorry, but I say your survey are not effective.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread