Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

cash card (ufj) vs cash (MUFG) 2017/4/9 13:54
I wonder what is the difference between a cash card and a debit card? I read from other forums that say some cards in tokyo can be used to purchase goods (pasmo) and collect points to redeem prizes. I'm at lost of which card is to be used for......
by Black Joker  

Re: cash card (ufj) vs cash (MUFG) 2017/4/9 15:44
Cash Cards: You can deposit and/or withdraw, transfers, transactions money from ATMs or bank tellers at banks.

Debit Cards: You can do shopping at where "J-Debit" sign on, via electrical transaction without having any cash, the payment goes straight from your bank account into the shop account immediately(you must have money in your bank account in advance). This is a pre-payment system.

Visa-Debit Cards: You can do shopping at where "Visa Payment" sign on, both physical shops, online shops.
You must have money in your bank account in advance to do this. This is a pre-payment system.

Credit Cards: You can do shopping at where your credit card company logo on(eg, VISA, Mastercard, JCB, SAISON, American Express etc). No need to have money in your bank account in advance. This is a post-payment system.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: cash card (ufj) vs cash (MUFG) 2017/4/9 16:26
Bank card, ATM card, or cash card is issued by the bank you hold an ordinary account with, and you use it to withdraw cash from your bank account through ATM.

Debit card is linked to your bank account, and you can use it to make purchases. The amount is immediately deducted from your bank account. There are different schemes including J-debit and other internationally branded debit cards, such as Visa. This is "pay immediately" system.

Prepaid is when you have an amount pre-loaded onto a card, and SUICA and PASMO belong to this type. As you need to have an amount in the card before the purchase, this is pre-pay, pay onto the card in advance.

And of course credit card is post-payment, you pay later.

Having said this, some credit cards such as the one issued by JR East comes also with SUICAprepaid function on it, so that you use SUICA for shopping and you can earn rewards on it.

Now which two exact cards are you comparing?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: cash card (ufj) vs cash (MUFG) 2017/4/9 16:57
It is very annoying when people say "I read that..." and oversimplify it to the point that it's impossible to know what they are talking about.

What exactly have you read? Pasmo does not have a point sytem that I know of, but Suica and many other e-money systems do. Some credit cards do too.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: cash card (ufj) vs cash (MUFG) 2017/4/9 17:31
I see that the original poster is living outside Japan. If that is the case, and if you are just traveling to Japan (you don't have an account with any bank in Japan), then the only ones you need to consider are your own bank's bank card to withdraw yen cash from some ATM in Japan, credit card from your country for shopping, and prepaid such as SUICA or PASMO for relatively short distance train rides and small shopping such as at convenience stores while in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread