Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

May in Hokkaido 2017/4/11 23:40
Hi,
We planned to visit Hokkaido for 7 days in mid-late may but we became a bit worried about the things we can do there in this season. Can you tell us if it's recommended to visit there at this time? if yes, what are the best places to visit in this time?

Thanks
by Bob (guest)  

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/12 22:43
Anyone?
Should we change our plan and skip Hokkaido?
by Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/12 23:21
Late May should be a good time for tulip and pink moss in Eastern Hokkaido. Flower parks to go for in that region include Kamiyubetsu Tulip Park, Takinoue Park and Higashi-mokoto Shibazakura Park. The only concern is that it is a long way from Sapporo and New Chitose Airport which most will use upon arriving in Hokkaido. If only going for those flower sites it would be better to fly into that region using Memambetsu Airport.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/12 23:38
Thanks for the response!

We are getting to Hokkaido by Shinkansen from Tokyo (suppose to spend the first night in Hakodate).
Except flowers, other sites such as Lake Toya, Akan National Park, Daisetsuzan, Furano, Biei, Blue Pond are eligible to visit this season?

I'm not sure if the flower parks will cover 7 days in Hokkaido and we don't want to waste our time.
Hokkaido is part of 1 month trip to Japan, and we can still change our plan and spend these 7 days somewhere else in Japan.

I would appreciate your help,
Thanks again
by Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/13 00:04
All your mentioned places are worth going, just that you will be deprived of any specific seasonal highlights in those areas during late May.

For a short 1-week visit starting from Hakodate forget about going east especially if you have to rely on public transport. Besides Hakodate consider Toya-ko, Noboribetsu, Sapporo, Otaru, Furano, Biei and Asahikawa. You should skip Akan National Park as well. At most do a side trip to Sounkyo from Asahikawa or the Shakotan Peninsula from Otaru.

Time allowed between Sapporo and Asahikawa there is still a late May seasonal spot of rape blossom in Takikawa. Their annual Nanohana Festival this year runs from May 20-21.
https://www.takikawa-nanohana.com/

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/13 01:37
i go to sapporo every year-this is my 19th straight year. i will be going may 19-may 30. highlights this year will be the ramen festival and lilac festival. i go different times of the year but this is the earliest time i am going. as Williams suggests (he is a top source on Hokkaido), trips to Otaru, Noboribetsu, Ashikawa will be exciting. as an example, Otaru offers the canal. one of the best glass factories (retail store), chime bell type of store, and some of the best sushi in the world. Noboribetsu has the largest onzen possible in the Asian world----Sapporo has chocolate factory, bier garten, etc--there are day bus trips available
by sapporostan rate this post as useful

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/13 02:49
Hi sapporostan, nice to see you here besides TA.
How I wish to see more of you as both forums are in need of inputs from true seasonal travelers like you !

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/13 02:56
thank you---it is the highest compliment one can receive from someone like you--i deeply appreciate it. Hokkaido is so peaceful, quiet, beautiful with the nicest people in the world. it does not have to be expensive either. thanks again!!!!!!

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/13 13:53
I actually visited Rishiri, Mashuuko, Sapporo, and Hakodate during the later half of May a couple years ago.

The mountain was apparently climbable according to the workers at the foot of the mountain during the time, but I was too lazy (the following I biked around the whole island). I will be going there again this August, so I can't comment in comparison to different times, but I found it to be extremely pleasant. The amount of tourists was minimal and seemed to consist of all Japanese nationals. The island itself was cool, which was nice for the bike ride, and I was able to eat some of the famous Rishiri uni.

Mashuuko was also extremely beautiful. The hike from the station was easy, but did eat up some time. Again, not too humid, and the lake itself was breathtaking; clouds reflecting in the water; it really was a sight. Iozan, lit. sulfur moutain, was also close to the station.

With the extension of the ANA Experience Japan airplane ticket fair, I suggest trying out one or the other. From Sapporo one-way tickets are only ~$50 usd (I can't remember the yen cost, sorry). I originally went by train to both. Enjoyed the trip to Mashuuko--can't remember the one to Wakkanai.

Best,
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: May in Hokkaido 2017/4/14 05:33
one year we drove up to Masike, to the kunimare sake factory (very small-1,500 bottles per month) next year i went with other friends to Mashike for the annual shrimp festival. once you get on the road, along the coast, it being about 2 1/2 hour drive, the biggest town you drive through is about 2,000 people so it is an indication of how wide open Hokkaido is outside the cities. this is due to jobs, people getting older, and less people wanting to do agriculture. again, a special island not be missed

reply to this thread