Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumano Kodo Nakahechi Route short walks 2017/4/28 10:16
I want to see some of Kumano Kodo, but I'm doing it as a day trip from Wakayama, and I need to return to Wakayama city by nightfall. I want to go via the Nakahechi Route as it's the easiest to get to from Kiitanabe station. But it's hard to find information about short walks and trails along Nakahechi. I will have a maximum of 8 hours to spend there, including the time it takes to return to Kiitanabe station. Will it annoy other hikers if I begin walking and go back towards Kiitanabe station in the afternoon? Is there another train station, or bus terminal, along the Nakahechi route that will take me back to Wakayama City, so I don't have to walk all the way back to Kiitanabe station?
by Jenn Jett (guest)  

Re: Kumano Kodo Nakahechi Route short walks 2017/4/28 22:33
Here is a link to the Tanabe Tourism Bureau's Kumano Hiking Guide.

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/maps/

The Nakahechi route is broken into two parts. The first part (A on the map) has a bus stop at the beginning and end of the trail, with a suggested 9 and 1/2 hours of walking. The path diverges from the highway, so you can not just hike a portion of if. The second part has several places with bus stops. I would suggest a portion of this section.

To get there, here is the Tanabe link to the bus routes:

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/transport/bus/

You want timetable 1 (going towards Hongu Taisha) and timetable 2 (going back to Tanabe). You could take the bus to Chikatsuyu-oji and walk back towards Tanabe. You would have two bus stops, the Nakahechi Art Museum, and Gyubadoji, to catch a return bus back to Tanabe. The bus going out would be 75 minutes, and the return bus less, which will eat into your 8 1/2 hours of hiking time.

Good Luck, in planning your vacation.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread